Photographer's Book Club - anyone a member?

StevenHanna 17 296 United Kingdom
19 Jan 2006 1:48AM
I always seem to get leaflets for the Photographer's Book Club free inside magazines, and after actually taking the time to sit down & read it, I'm considering joining. Is there anyone on here a member of it & who could recommened the club or perhaps put me off the idea?! lol Have you found the service to be satisfactory & reliable?

Thanks folks.

Steven

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

19 Jan 2006 1:56AM
I joined and got my initial 4 or 5 cheap books that you get, they was a bargain. I think I had to order three more at full price over 6 months before I could cancel my memebership, the books are good value for money although I found a little limited in choice. The service was reliable and customer service good.
19 Jan 2006 2:00AM
Cheers Richard.
The savings at the start certainly seem to be quite good.

Steven
debbiehardy 16 363 United Kingdom
19 Jan 2006 2:03AM
Fully agree with Richard. You've to remember to send in the form every month too, otherwise you end up with the Editor's choice which you may not want.
I did this just b4 Christmas...the book had pages 17-32 missing!!
They sent a courier to collect it tho and a credit for a free book!!
19 Jan 2006 2:07AM
Thanks Debbie.
I used to be a member of Britannica music club & they used the same principle in that they automatically sent you the CD of the month if you didn't return the form.

Have you found that there is a good wide choice of books in each catalogue?

Steven
trahern 16 863 United Kingdom
19 Jan 2006 3:24AM
Ending your membership of these clubs can be a problem. I know a number of people who have belonged and requests to cancel mebership (after the contractual period - usually 12 months I think) have been ignored with the Editors Choice still turning up on the door step.
Tandberg 17 1.2k 2 England
19 Jan 2006 5:04AM
I was a member got the cheap books and then cancelled, they said fine and they will still sent catologue and i could order still if i wanted no pressure, or leave it. I was happy with them. No problem with cancelling.

Dave
19 Jan 2006 5:37AM
Cheers Andrew & Dave :o)

Steven
KenC 18 6
19 Jan 2006 8:46AM
I was also a member of a while. They seem good, friendly people to talk to whenever I had a problem. The only problems I had were with their couriers who would never leave a card when making deliveries when I was out. Several of my orders went astray because of this. PBC quickly sent out replacements at no cost to me.

When I cancelled my membership it only took a few minutes on the phone.

As to value for money: the initial offer represents a huge saving. The magazine prices were generally comparable with Amazon (usually a few pounds more expensive). The killer was the postage charges. I stayed with PBC for the minimum membership period and think that I got good value out of it. I was running out of books to buy (I mean how many books on how to take landscape photographs does someone need?)

Ken

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.