Get 50% Off Affinity Photo Today!

Photographer tries to copyright a landscape viewpoint

Pete Plus
19 18.8k 97 England
3 Apr 2014 1:03PM
Here's an interesting one - a professional photographer took Korean Air to court over use of a photograph.
http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2987038
He lost the case.
While I'm all for photographers protecting their copyright this may have created quite a few problems if he'd won. All those tripod hole shots we see would be protected by individuals who popped their flag in first. Where would the line be drawn...models in specific poses, still-lifes with particular arrangements, drip shots at same speeds, birds on sticks at certain angles?
What do you think about the judge's decision?
Techno Plus
12 5.6k 8 England
3 Apr 2014 1:20PM
Phew! Thank goodness common-sense prevailed.Smile
Black rock cottage for instance would no longer be a shrine, mind you I could never find the tripod holes of those top togs made anyway....Wink
TanyaH Plus
17 1.3k 409 United Kingdom
3 Apr 2014 2:40PM
I think the judge made the right call personally. Yes, there's a visual similarity between the subject in each of the versions but although the subject may be the same, if they're taken on different equipment, on different dates, by different people ... Well, you can't copyright nature. Good job too, otherwise all those people who go on photographic holidays and line up to take the same scene would be in danger of being sued for copyright infringement.

Admittedly, the two images are almost identical in terms of viewpoint, but if one's taken by a professional and the other by an amateur, then we've all got to start somewhere and imitation (they say) is the greatest form of flattery Smile (But probably best to put your own twist on things, just in case ... )
discreetphoton Plus
15 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
3 Apr 2014 3:58PM
wish I could afford to sue people who get better light than me Wink
thewilliam 12 6.1k
3 Apr 2014 4:00PM
How many wannabees have used Ansel Adams's tripod hole in Yosemite? Has anyone even come close to the master?

There was an image of a "schindlered" bus crossing a monochrome bridge with a monochrome Palace of Westminster in the background that was used on a biscuit tin lid. The first snapper who claimed to have done the first "schindlered" London bus won the case for copyright infringement.

**** The term "schindlered" is a trade mark of my friend Derek Pye, the world's greatest living wedding photographer.
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
3 Apr 2014 4:02PM
If that photo is as well known in Korea as claimed then the company must have used the other one in full knowledge that they were riding the gravy train with a discount ticket.

Disgraceful. Wink
lemmy 13 2.9k United Kingdom
3 Apr 2014 5:59PM
I recently took a picture of Tower Bridge at night from the right bank of the river.

Would ePZ members please take care not to take such a picture as I will be consider it a breach of copyright. You may carry cameras in the vicinity but they should be kept in your camera bag. Please respect this. Thank you.
lobsterboy Plus
16 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
3 Apr 2014 6:18PM
I caught this bloke today trying to steal your copyright Lemmy. I think you need to have a word...

towerbridge.jpg
chris.maddock 19 3.7k United Kingdom
3 Apr 2014 6:42PM

Quote:I recently took a picture of Tower Bridge at night from the right bank of the river.

Would ePZ members please take care not to take such a picture as I will be consider it a breach of copyright.

Is it OK if we take shots from the wrong bank?
Tongue
lemmy 13 2.9k United Kingdom
3 Apr 2014 7:02PM

Quote:I caught this bloke today trying to steal your copyright Lemmy. I think you need to have a word...

The fellow is an unashamed plagiarist. You can tell from his body language that he knows he is doing wrong. Thank you lobsterboy. Just one thing, your picture includes the bridge from the right bank. My lawyers have been informed.

Quote:Is it OK if we take shots from the wrong bank?

Up to the moment, yes. But I will go there tomorrow and do that, so after that, no Grin

Quite seriously, Apple once tried to patent the rounded corners of their iPhone. You wonder where these people's arrogance comes from, don't you?
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
3 Apr 2014 7:26PM

Quote:You wonder where these people's arrogance comes from, don't you?

Lawyers have got to make a living somehow and in this way, whatever the outcome, they get their fees.

Quite a good business model when you think of it Grin
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
3 Apr 2014 7:38PM
Mind you that Island is named after the the photographer who made it famous.

I can feel a little for the guy thinking, 'Look, non of you no mark amateurs thought a rats ass for that clump of trees until I made it famous'

I bet Joe Cornish wishes he put that pebble in his bag or pushed it into the sea at Elgol.
chris.maddock 19 3.7k United Kingdom
3 Apr 2014 10:38PM

Quote:I bet Joe Cornish wishes he put that pebble in his bag or pushed it into the sea at Elgol.

If it's the one I'm thinking of (cover pic on "First Light") he'd have needed a darned big bag - and several sherpas to carry it Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.