Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Photographer vs Sales Assistant

riggwelter 10 165 United Kingdom
14 May 2008 7:03PM
Some great replies.

I think I will stick with a Letter to the Branch and HQ though.

Any ideas of what to (seriously)! write would be much appreciated.

Failing that a meet outside the shop is a great idea and I will also get my mates from the video world to bring a TV camera or two along. See how they like that Wink

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

c_evans99 13 7.0k 1 Wales
14 May 2008 7:06PM
Bit of a tangent but I've completely lost faith with high street stores.

I was in the market for a new record player and - don't snigger - I had about 700-800 to spend. I contacted every hifi shop within a thirty mile radius that are dealers for the brands I was interested in to arrange demos, and hit a brick wall. Every shop said something along the lines of 'you don't want that you want this' - 'this' costing several hundred quid more, and went on to the hard sell. I don't buy hifi gear from the net, not for that sort of money (and I was going to pay cash) I want to hear it first, and have it checked over in the shop to make sure it's working before I take it home.

I gave up in the end, and just bought a new cartridge for my turntable, so if anyone complains in my presence that the internet is killing the high street retailer, I'll kick his @rse.
BEVZED 10 1.1k United Kingdom
14 May 2008 7:10PM

Quote:He was probably picking his nose and inspecting his findings.......and embarrassed youd caught it with your camera!
i saw it once, ive never left a shop so fast

Lol! Must have been the same shop as me .. he rolls it around and flicks it all over the shop Sad
mad-dogs 14 2.2k England
14 May 2008 7:28PM

Quote:Some great replies.

Failing that a meet outside the shop is a great idea and I will also get my mates from the video world to bring a TV camera or two along. See how they like that

A spoof of 'Watchdog' or 'Shop Managers from Hell' - could be fun!
Edjones 11 37
14 May 2008 7:32PM
Providing you are on public ground and that you havent shot anything completely innapropriate, do not delete pictures on demand - ever. Just don't do it. If there is a problem, why not exchange details and take it from there. Makes me wonder what him & his buddies were up to in the shop, when you took the picture.

Incidently, whether it applies to you or not, it is interesting to read a section of the ACPO Police-Media guidelines:

..."members of the media have a duty to take photographs and film incidents and we (the police) have no legal power or moral responsilbility to prevent or restrict what they (photographers) record. Once images are recorded, we have no power to delete or confiscate them without a court order, even if we (the police) believe they contain damagin or useful evidence."

What it dosent say is that members of the public have the power to make other members of the public erase pictures...which is probably because it's nonsense. Re the above - you could argue that as a photographer, your pictures have a potential use within the media...sure that might not wash everytime, but a mobile phone shop ?!!? Mmm.
14 May 2008 8:53PM
As stated in the first post, I know my rights, but I deleted the image out of courtesy stating that I didn't have to. (I won't be doing it again)

It was they guy's aggressive attitude after I had done so - demanding to see my camera and that all images containing even a small part of the shop sign were also removed. (I scrolled the other way so he didn't see them but he noticed and ordered I scrolled the other way) - I was realy biting my tounge at this point and a few people were watching!

A letter has now been written.
User_Removed 13 17.9k 8 Norway
14 May 2008 8:59PM
Did you recover the image? Send a copy off to 'D' Management'... ('c.c' - ing a fictitious Solicitor always helps I find Wink)
samfurlong 11 2.5k United Kingdom
14 May 2008 9:04PM
Not of much help now but after the rant I would have just taken his picture to make my point.
14 May 2008 9:06PM
I thought about doing something like that but it would be an easy bluff to call.

I have made a statement of photographers (and everyones really) rights and demanded a written apology from both the Head Office and the Employee concerned.
samfurlong 11 2.5k United Kingdom
14 May 2008 9:11PM
Go back at closing time, wait for him to come out then take his picture.
Then follow him back to his car / bus / whatever, all the while taking his picture.

In case you're worried about the legality this does NOT constitute harassment as harassment has to be a SERIES of events over a period of time (like if you did it 3 or 4 days in a row) - and even then he's got to find out who you are / where you live to even make a complaint.

Do it, it's great fun and will teach him a lesson!!
14 May 2008 9:16PM
I think having his bosses to answer to for aggressive behaviour on the street in fron of the shop will teach him a bigger lesson. Smile
User_Removed 13 17.9k 8 Norway
14 May 2008 9:18PM
...aye!

That and an EPZ Meet right outside as already suggested!

Grin Grin Grin
14 May 2008 9:26PM
I was just thinking of the pro's and Con's of a meet outside the shop. Especially if the 'video boys' turn up too.

It would be a laugh but might cause more trouble than it solves.

However, If there is no/inadiquate response to my letter.....Wink
sidaorb 11 3.9k 2 England
14 May 2008 9:26PM
I like the idea that whenever one of our members has a problem similar to this then we arrange a little EPZ photo day in the very near vacinity Wink

I wonder if they realise that there actions may result in loss of customers (if of course there mind numbing ads haven't killed you 1st). I personally wont be buying now from Fones 4 Chavs now Wink
sidaorb 11 3.9k 2 England
14 May 2008 9:28PM
If you have a problem, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire, the EPZ team

Quote:Pete - You aint getting me in no plane fool

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.