Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Photographer vs Sales Assistant

Graywolf 10 1.0k United Kingdom
14 May 2008 9:33PM
Hmm, I jut may pop down to Southport and do a little photography for my archives

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

riggwelter 10 165 United Kingdom
14 May 2008 9:33PM
Thanks for the support,

some of those last posts really made me laugh!

I joined EPZ in Jan 2007 but then forgot about it for ages. I will have to upload some more pics!
ripleysalien 10 1.2k 11 United Kingdom
14 May 2008 9:54PM
Why dosnt the winner of the next weekly whatsit have a think about the following weeks subject being, YOUR LOCAL HIGH STREET

Steve
15 May 2008 1:20AM
Lets wait and see what response I get from the letter which I am sending to both the Southport (Chapel Street) Branch and the HQ.

If a full appology is returned then they redeem themselves and I will accept the incident as a lack of Education.

If not. A Meet on Chapel Street, Southport will be arranged.
15 May 2008 1:22AM
Here is the First Letter draft. Any Suggested Changes are welcome;

Incident outside Phones 4U Ltd,
26-28 Chapel St. Southport. PR8 1BH

On Wednesday 14th May 2008 at approx 11:40am I was Harassed by a member of your staff on the street outside the Southport (Chapel St.) Branch of Phones 4U.

I am a Photographer and I photograph towns and Cities across the UK. On this day I was Photographing Chapel Street in Southport when one of your employees came out of the store and asked what I was doing.

He said that he preferred it if I did not photograph Phones 4U and that company policy strictly forbids it.

Whilst deleting the photograph I had containing the Phones 4U building I explained that I had every right to be there and do what I was doing but I would delete the image out of professional courtesy and politeness (I didnít have to delete anything).

Despite this action, he went on to demand that he saw my camera and delete all Images containing The Phones 4U building or part of. He did this in a very aggressive and demanding manner.

At no point was I on Phones 4U Property.

I was left distressed by the aggressive, demanding manner of your employee who was acting on behalf of Phones 4U

Under English Law, photographs can only be forcefully deleted on the production of a court issued warrant and then only by an enforcing officer (Police for example).

Under English Law, Photographers do not need to seek permission to photograph from a public place.
(We do not live in North Korea)!

Phones 4U and their employees have no right to interfere with people going about their lawful business on a public street or to stop/hinder photographers or demand the deletion of images.

I now demand a written apology both from Head Office and from the concerned employee of the Southport branch.

Sincerely,
uggyy 11 2.1k 9 Scotland
15 May 2008 1:41AM

Quote:(We do not live in North Korea)!

I would drop that and keep its total emotionless and factual.

Change the Harassed to Accosted?

Perhaps tell them they should advise there staff what they did was wrong?

Strong letter, it might just end up in the bin but hey we got to take a stand. The other thing I would perhaps mention is that you may contact the press and raise this as concern and to your local councillor and so on, bad publicity is something they make take more serious.. Wink
NickParry 11 1.0k 79 Wales
15 May 2008 1:43AM
Sounds spot on in my opinion.

What a bizarre situation. I am afraid that I would have called the police to get the employee spoken to for harrassing you, or on the otherhand I would have been arrested for GBH Smile.

You are well within your rights to photograph in the street as you have been doing.

I agree with uggyy, and would contact as many papers, both locally and nationally, with the story of the situation. I would also contact the shop's competition in the phone sector and put it in such a way as they could use it in a detrimental way against the said store/business. Sorry, but in your position I would go full hog on it !

Nick
NickParry 11 1.0k 79 Wales
15 May 2008 1:52AM
PS. If I lived close I would also be up for the suggested Epz meet at the said store.
15 May 2008 1:56AM
I think the N.Korea bit should stay as it really makes a point. I may change my mind when I cool off a little though!

As for resisting and ending up with the police being called (probably by me for assault against me), it could have happened but I bit my tounge really hard!

If inadiquate/no response is heard then I will go 'Full Hog'

Look out for a meet in the next few days.
john64 Plus
12 824 England
15 May 2008 7:58AM
As suggested above, contacting the local/national press would be a great idea - there's nothing like bad publicity to get someone to see your viewpoint.

I'd also drop a note to the Bureau of Freelance Photographers as they have been collecting stories like this for a while.

Lastly, get in touch with your MP. See if he/she has signed up to the 'Photographer's rights' issue.
mad-dogs 15 2.2k England
15 May 2008 11:16AM
Something along the lines of...

Dear Sirs,

On Wednesday 14th May 2008 at approx 11:40am I was approached by the manager of the Southport Branch of Phones 4U, in Chapel Street, whilst taking photographs outside the premises.

The manager enquired why I was taking photographs and stated that he preferred that I did not photograph Phones 4U and that company policy strictly forbids it. I respect your right to prevent photography within your premises and can only assume that your manager had misread your directive and assumed the policy covered the exterior of your premises.

I politely informed him that I am a Photographer and I photograph (* or document ) towns and Cities of the United Kingdom. On this day I was Photographing Chapel Street in Southport and have every right in law to do so.

Explaining that I had every right to take photographs, as I was in a public place and not on Phones 4U property, I would delete the image out of professional courtesy and politeness.

Despite deleting the image, the manager insisted that he checked my camera to ensure the image had been deleted and did so in a rather aggressive manner. This is not the kind of attitude I would expect from Phones 4U employees and one which is more likely to alienate possible or future customers.

May I point out that under current English law, even the police require a court issued warrant to delete the images from my camera and that unless causing an offence, I have every right to take photographs from a public place and that your employee had no right to demand that I decease from photographing the exterior of your premises and/or delete the image.

I trust that you will deal with this matter appropriately and a written apology from the branch manager concerned be forthcoming.

Furthermore, I trust your employees will be informed that they have no jurestriction outside their premises door.

I look forward to your reply

Yours sincerely

BEVZED 10 1.1k United Kingdom
15 May 2008 11:27AM

Quote:the exterior of your premises

'a street scene which included exteriors of buildings, amongst which was yours'

or sommat likeWink
rowarrior 9 4.4k 9 Scotland
15 May 2008 12:05PM
Sorry, did a little editing on this very good offering, marked in bold (comes from being a legal secretary every summer at uni!)

Quote:
Dear Sirs,

On Wednesday 14th May 2008 at approx 11:40am I was approached by the manager of the Southport branch of Phones 4U, in Chapel Street, whilst taking photographs outside the premises.

The manager enquired about why I was taking photographs and stated that he preferred that I did not photograph Phones 4U because company policy strictly forbids it. I respect your right to prevent photography within your premises and can only assume that your manager had misread your directive and assumed that the policy covered the exterior of your premises.

I politely informed him that I am a Photographer and I photograph (* or document ) towns and cities of the United Kingdom. On this day I was photographing Chapel Street in Southport and have every right in law to do so.

Explaining that I had every right to take photographs, as I was in a public place and not on Phones 4U property, I agreed that I would delete the image out of professional courtesy and politeness.

Despite deleting the image, the manager insisted that he checked my camera to ensure that the image had been deleted and did so in a rather aggressive manner. This is not the kind of attitude I would expect from Phones 4U employees and one which is more likely to alienate possible or future customers.

May I point out that under current English law, even the police require a court issued warrant to delete the images from my camera, and that unless causing an offence I have every right to take photographs from a public place. Your employee had no right to demand that I desist from photographing the exterior of your premises and/or delete the image.

I trust that you will deal with this matter appropriately and a written apology from the branch manager concerned will be forthcoming. Furthermore, I trust your employees will be informed that they have no jurestriction outside the door of their premises.

I look forward to your reply

Yours faithfully

culturedcanvas 11 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
15 May 2008 12:17PM

Quote:May I point out that under current English law, even the police require a court issued warrant to delete the images from my camera, and that unless causing an offence I have every right to take photographs from a public place. Your employee had no right to demand that I desist from photographing the exterior of your premises and/or delete the image.

I would replace this with the statement that I consider the managers actions to be an assault contrary to Section 39 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988

I would point out that you felt intimidated throughout the interaction and that despite your best efforts to appease the situation you were forced into having your camera checked against your will. I would indicate that you are seeking both an apology and compensation for this incident and I would equally report the matter to the police.

I would then give them 14 days in which to issue a response to your letter and indicate that you may follow up with legal action should their response not be satisfactory.

In addition I would add that you are having your memory card data recovered to get back as many of the deleted images as possible which may be used in evidence of the illegal detention and search.

Dan
Henchard 12 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
15 May 2008 12:19PM
You might also want to add to Ro's last sentence

Furthermore, I trust your employees will be informed that they have no jurisdiction (spelt wrong above) outside the door of their premises and that they possibly risk civil proceedings being instigated against them.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.