Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Photographers anecdotes or "sods law"

Grampy 11 507 71 England
11 Nov 2009 2:58PM
while writing for my site a page of if it can go wrong it will go wrong (all true stories). I thought it might make a fun thread ,but frankly I've no idea where to put it.
Any Ideas.
Here's an example of the type of thing.

I had a rather embarrassing moment with a Porsche in my studio when we let a very big and heavy 2kw studio spot fall right across wing and bonnet but don’t worry there was absolutely no damage to the light.
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
11 Nov 2009 3:03PM
ouch!
either light hearted chat or here in general photo discussion would make most sense.
Grampy 11 507 71 England
11 Nov 2009 4:44PM
Ok I will leave it here
Here's another 100% true story

Another story and I promise this time it didn’t concern me ,a friend who was shooting a car on a beach somewhere on the west coast of Belgium He found the beach and had the brand new vehicle delivered to the site, it was around five in the evening when he put the car on the beach, waiting for the sun to go down they had sandwiches and coffee, not noticing that the tide was advancing at a great rate, The car wheels were already sunk in the sand which made it impossible to move, as you can imagine total panic but finally they could do nothing, He did however take some pictures of the top of the roof and the aerial sticking out of the sea.
It wasn’t a bad thing for me as I got a new client.
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
11 Nov 2009 5:04PM

Quote:no damage to the light.

LOL!!!
Grampy 11 507 71 England
11 Nov 2009 5:24PM
Come on mike you must have a story to tell, Nobody's perfect.
keith selmes 18 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
11 Nov 2009 7:13PM
Everybody has, but we're not up to your standard Smile
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
11 Nov 2009 7:29PM
OK...

So...

I was on an aerial shoot (air-to-ground) operating out of Staverton (Gloucester) Airport in 1988. Was leaning down to grab another roll of film from the Billingham, and was aware out of the corner of my left eye, that Pete (my Pilot) had suddenly pushed the throttle fully in and - at the same time - I wasn't able to sit back up in my seat.

The 7.5ltr, 6 cylinder Lycoming engine by now, was screaming its head of - and I couldn't move mine upwards due to the G-forces being applied to the airframe - and us!

However, I was able to move my head right and look out through the open parachute door of the Cessna 180 - and straight into the cockpit of a US Air Force A10 Tank Buster immediately below us - at a distance of approx. 20ft... (Pete was rolling us up and over the A10 - which was also rolling at the same time)

A few seconds later Pete had pulled back on the power and repositioned us straight and level and on the return to Staverton, we talked about the incident.

Pete decided that it was right to file an Airmiss Report, which was done when we landed back that afternoon after finishing our shoot. We were done for the day so we headed off home and prepared for the next days shooting schedule. We arrived back at Staverton the next morning and set off on the flight plan.

On joining the circuit to land back there at lunchtime, Air Traffic advised we had several visitors waiting for us on the apron...

No sooner had Pete cut the engine when we were set upon by three TV camera crews (ATV, HTV and the BBC) all wanting interviews about the incident the day before! The head of my local Agency was also there with a bunch of other 'togs' taking stills etc but Pete and I were a little bemused as to why all the fuss.

It seem that 'Airmisses' between civilian and military aircraft were the flavour of the moment as two days before (i.e. the day before our incident) another light aircraft had taken off from Cumbernauld in Scotland - straight into the flight-path of an unauthorised, high-speed, low level pass by an RAF Tornado!

The A10 pilot - which was based at RAF Kemble to the south of Gloucester - was 'grounded' by his CO and, it transpired that, it was a common practice for the A10 pilots to 'pick on' unsuspecting General Aviation aircraft such as we had experienced - 'for training purposes'!!!

(Halcyon days!!...)
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
11 Nov 2009 7:39PM
About a month after I had been given a Cessna 185 on floats to fly, they gave me an assignment to go to a little fishing village with a gorgeous model, and a filming crew for the national TV network. We were to do a special story for MS or something. We had to pick up a young boy, and then fly him to the province's capitol for further ceremonys. We landed at the harbour, tied up at the dock, and went up to the church hall for a big ceremony, it was great.

You've all guessed the outcome by now; when we arrived back at the airplane, it was sitting on rocks about 2 feet above the water. Itwas a long wait for the tide to come back in, but we finally got the job done. I often wondered why someone from the village didn't mention it.

The similar story above reminded me.Smile
Just Jas Plus
19 26.3k 1 England
11 Nov 2009 7:49PM

Quote: ....there was absolutely no damage to the light.

Quote:....either light hearted chat ....

Seems about right, Pete..! LOL..!
Grampy 11 507 71 England
11 Nov 2009 10:33PM
Nothing really light hearted if these happened to you Smile

A young photographer (not me) and his assistant were sent to Spain on location. The idea was to photograph a bar of soap on a small rock, with the sea lapping one edge of the rock and a little sand in the foreground.
The beach he chose was a holiday spot near to good nightlife and, having a lively nature, he had some difficulty getting up in the mornings.
After a week of missing the early morning sun he rang the client to say the sea and the weather were not good and he had hadn’t yet been able to get the shot.
Finally, being concerned about the increasing expenses, he put the soap on the rock, positioned the label and packaging and set up his tripod and camera, and then turned back only to see it all washed away by a wave.
“No problem buy another one” I hear you say. “In any case no one would go on location with only one bar of soap”.
You’d be wrong, the bar washed out to sea was a uniquely shaped prototype made from wood and hand painted, the label and package had been produced in the art studio.
uggyy 15 2.1k 9 Scotland
11 Nov 2009 10:47PM
Erm when I got my 1st DLSR for Xmas a few years back I decided on a fine boxing day to go to a special spot I know miles from no where..

It had been snowing and the sky was perfect, the weather was fantastic and I walked about an hour to get to the spot I had in mind (with tripod and all the usual kit)..

SO getting to the spot I sat down. Set up. Clicked the old shoot button and 4 shots later the battery showed empty. Ohhh wait the spare you say, yes it was at home on the charger Smile Saying that the 4 photos where worth it lol...

Ohh and Im not known for sunrises either but on one fine day a few summers ago I did manage to get out for one, took lots photos of a rather nice sunrise.. Was pretty sleepy as well I hadnt actually went to bed lol.. Got home and then realised I was on ISO 1600 Smile

Erm there is some others but I cant mark them adult on here Wink

Tommy
JJGEE 16 8.0k 18 England
11 Nov 2009 10:52PM

Quote:that Pete (my Pilot)

Wink
Well, I always thought that Pete had been involved with / editor of photography magazines.
Grampy 11 507 71 England
12 Nov 2009 7:40AM

Quote:Erm when I got my 1st DLSR for Xmas a few years back I decided on a fine boxing day to go to a special spot I know miles from no where..

It had been snowing and the sky was perfect, the weather was fantastic and I walked about an hour to get to the spot I had in mind (with tripod and all the usual kit)..

SO getting to the spot I sat down. Set up. Clicked the old shoot button and 4 shots later the battery showed empty. Ohhh wait the spare you say, yes it was at home on the charger Saying that the 4 photos where worth it lol...

Ohh and Im not known for sunrises either but on one fine day a few summers ago I did manage to get out for one, took lots photos of a rather nice sunrise.. Was pretty sleepy as well I hadnt actually went to bed lol.. Got home and then realised I was on ISO 1600

Erm there is some others but I cant mark them adult on here

Tommy

Just shows we are not infalible
"
I once went on location to Malta with a 5"x4" and forgot the tripod.
macroman 18 15.3k England
12 Nov 2009 11:22AM
Couple of years ago decided to go to Harwich to do some low light toggery, set up tripod got out camera, found quick release plate was for the monopod and didnt fit...DOH! Tripod plate at home 16miles away.

Have since modified tripod so one plate fits both, and have managed to go out since and forgotten the plate anyway....Double DOH!

You wonder why I rarely use a tripod??
User_Removed 19 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2009 11:31AM
I've debated whether to post this as its a really awful story but as time has moved on a little.

I was visiting my Mum in hospital. As always, I had my camera with me but had left it in my car. Sadly, my mother was terminally ill and she wanted some more family photos with my sister and our partners but en route to the hospital, my sister called to say she would not be there until later in the day so I didn't bother taking the camera in with me.

Long story short, I witnessed the most god awful plane crash from a window (I am in fact one of the 'official' enquiry witnesses) and if I had had the camera.........

Full story here (my interview is down the page....they added 10 years to me the b******s Grin)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.