Get 20% Off PortraitPro 22 With Our Exclusive Code

Photographers anecdotes or "sods law"

Grampy 12 507 71 England
12 Nov 2009 3:58PM
What a terrible story both for your family and yourself.
Here's another one of mine, Well not mine but a fashion photographer in Brussels.

In the days before digital it was normal to use Polaroid backs on cameras, they were made for almost every size including 35mm. When the shot was set up a Polaroid exposure would be made to check lighting, composition and provide a reference for the sequence of shots on the undeveloped film. An 8x10 Polaroid was often taken in the studio so that the client, if he was present, could approve the shot or you could, as usual, argue about alterations.
The 35mm Polaroid backs were time consuming to fit so it was necessary to have one permanently fitted to a Nikon.
A fashion photographer friend had a location job in Africa. He left with six models, two clients, an assistant, a makeup artist, a stylist, and a hairdresser for two weeks. A shoot like that would cost around the 80,000 100,000 mark today.
All went smoothly using 35mm for the whole job. Every shot had a Polaroid reference taken first with a specially backed camera and then the final shots were taken on a normal 35mm camera.
My friend processed his films when he got back only to find that the shutter had been blocking only halfway open through all the exposures. He had nothing. His reputation in Europe was ruined and I last heard that he was working in Canada.
The moral of this story is check and check again. Quite often I wish I had remembered that.
If it can go wrong it will go wrong.
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
15 Nov 2009 9:48AM
Oh dear oh dear oh dear... I would have thought one or two clip-tests were in order whilst out there.

A sad tale indeed Philip.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.