Photographers note book

10 Dec 2011 1:25PM
Hi,
I am sure that I am not alone in this problem, but like most photographers, I tend to scribble notes about shots that I take (ie where, When and camera settings etc.) either in a diary or various scraps of paper. Does anyone know of a commercially available note book that is specifically designed for this purpose. I would be most grateful for any information on the subject.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ewanneil 9 1.1k 2 Scotland
10 Dec 2011 1:39PM
Your digital camera will record most (if not all) of this information for you. It will certainly record the date and time along with the settings applied. Depending on the camera you own, it may even record where you took the shot via a GPS system.

You can usually access this information from the software supplied with your camera or from any other image editing software.

Are you looking for something more than this?
Ade_Osman 16 4.5k 36 England
10 Dec 2011 1:59PM
JJGEE 15 7.7k 18 England
10 Dec 2011 2:02PM
Years ago you could get pre-printed Filofax pages with frame number, exposure etc. but with the onset of Digital they may no longer be around.

I have a little cardboard covered notebooks 5" x 3" ( have a collection going back 20+ years ) in which I make notes.. these day it is just details of the file number / subject / location / compass bearing if a landscape shot but I no longer note lens / aperture / shutter speed as that is all in the EXIF data of the digital file.

If I can I even skip subject / location by taking a shot of a signpost or label ( on plants / trees )
66tricky 13 742 Scotland
10 Dec 2011 2:42PM
I had one years back that I got free with a magazine. I have also, in the past, made up custom sheets in Excel that serve very well. These days, the exif data in enough for me.
WilliamRoar 12 188 United Kingdom
10 Dec 2011 3:21PM
I don't really bother/care unless I am using 54, where I enter the info in an app, but I usually remember anyway.

Your easiest option is to either enter the information onto a hand-held device or create a small book on the computer.
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
10 Dec 2011 3:49PM
I don`t keep written notes any more, haven`t in years Smile

A lot of new camera`s can now add dictated notes recorded on the camera or even gps tagging and logging.
10 Dec 2011 5:22PM
Many thanks for all your comments and suggestions,- most helpful!
I appreciate that most the info will be recorded when using digital, but I also use 35mm and M/F.
You have answered my question perfectly. Thanks again.:Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.