Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Photographic locations in Southampton/Havant area

rogerdoger 9 18
21 Feb 2016 7:35PM
I have to stay down in the Southampton /Havant area for a couple of days while lecturing to camera clubs. Can anyone recommend any good areas or locations in that part of the country that are worth visiting photographically ?
saltireblue Plus
10 11.6k 71 Norway
21 Feb 2016 7:37PM
Depends very much on what you are interested in photographing...sea/coast, urban/city, architecture....
rogerdoger 9 18
21 Feb 2016 7:50PM
Anything really. Particularly like sea/coast , and did wonder maybe to drive as far as Birling Gap. Will photograph urban/city.
JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
21 Feb 2016 10:13PM

Quote:and did wonder maybe to drive as far as Birling Gap

Well, prepare yourself for a long drive Sad
Birling Gap is in East Sussex, about 86 miles / 2 hours from Southampton
rogerdoger 9 18
21 Feb 2016 10:19PM
Maybe not then !
dcash29 15 2.4k England
21 Feb 2016 10:28PM
Buckler's Hard, Maritime Museum. Lepe Country Park, with a mile of beach, pine-fringed cliffs, historic D-Day remains and Hurst Castle
PRC 6 294 United Kingdom
21 Feb 2016 10:47PM

Quote:Anything really

In that case, there's lots to choose from:
The New Forest (landscape, ponies, etc), Romsey (market town with a Norman abbey and the River Test), Winchester (old buildings including a cathedral), Southampton (urban, docks). In the Havant direction you have Portsmouth with its waterfronts and the naval museum, including HMS Victory and HMS Warrior.
altitude50 16 21.4k United Kingdom
21 Feb 2016 11:50PM
There is always Chichester, about 10 miles from Havant with it's cathedral and Bosham and Dell Quay waterfronts nearby. Goodwood motor race circuit with the airfield within and Goodwood horse racecourse on the hill above, a couple of miles from Chichester centre - plenty of subjects.
mrswoolybill Plus
14 2.7k 2375 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2016 9:08AM
I was born in Southampton, spent my first 19 years there, and still go back regularly. I can't say that I find the town inspiring photographically... But walk down High Street, south of the Bargate, and look for the ruined Holyrood Church on the left, now preserved as the Merchant Navy Memorial.
Then carry on down towards the river and follow the old walls round to the right. There are a number of medieval structures that are worth looking out for.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.