Up To 50% Off Regatta Clothing + An Extra 10% Discount With Code: MSSEXTRA10

photographing artwork

fullerton 19 64
10 Feb 2002 7:56PM
a friend has asked me to photograph hi paintings for him for his web site. i said yes, but it now occurs that there are probably several ways to **** this up. any top tips out there?
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
11 Feb 2002 9:17AM
Here are a few thoughts. Shoot head on and fill the frame allowing for viewfinder innacuracy. Most are not 100% accurate so if the viewfinder frame is filled there will be some detail around the edges that can be cropped when you save the web version. If the painting is very reflective and you see light reflections when head on you could shoot from an angle if that improves things and then use Photoshop's Transform tools to bring it back squared up again. If the photois behind glass you will need to shoot at a slight angle and use the polariser to kill the reflections.
11 Feb 2002 1:10PM
I spent the whole of yesterday photographing my mothers paintings. Here are a few things that helped:

1) Put an easel behind a white drop cloth to stand the pictures on. Make sure that the camera is pointed at the pictures square on. If you're using an easel, you may well have to raise the height of the camera signifcantly.

2) I placed a light at either side of the picture with a white umbrella and at quite a shallow angle (some of the pictures had glass in them). This will cut down reflection.

3) Use the lights on a fairly low power and as far away from the picture as possible. It's amazing how much glare you can get from some
frames!

4) Take your time. It's not as quick as you think. Each picture may be different size so you'll have to re-frame every one - it's not a quick job!

5) Have a few drinks while you're doing it - there's no client the other side of the lens to make an impression on Wink

Hope this helps.....Si

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.