30-Day FREE Amazon Prime Trial - Get Ready For Prime Day 2021

photographing children

alan h. 19 275 United Kingdom
13 May 2007 10:59AM
re the terrible disappearance of maddelaine in portugul, i saw one report where it said somebody had been spotted snapping her a couple of days earlier, it is a topic that has been often written about in the forums and has caused a lot of concern to photographers. will it come to a point in the future when someone taking photographs near wher children are congragated will come to some serious physical harm.
c_evans99 17 7.0k 1 Wales
13 May 2007 11:07AM
Depends what you mean by 'serious harm'; photographers have been arrested for doing this.

In this case hindsight may be colouring witnesses' view on what suspicious behaviour is. Given the way the press whips up emotions and that there have been cases of mob attacks on paediatricians I wouldn't rule out a vigilante attack on someone using a camera.

Ceri
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
13 May 2007 11:30AM

Quote:will come to some serious physical harm.

Chances are not, But it serves as a reminder to be careful and pay attention to whats around you when you are out & about, I had an occasion where I was framing up a shot of a replica 17th century galleon type ship, When a party of school kids wandered into the frame, They and thier teachers where all dressed as pirates and obviously on a school outing to visit the same ship, It was quite funny for about 3 seconds, Then it hit me " Bloody hell mate " sodding kids and I'm pointing a camera at them, I vacated the scene for another location, " SAD ISN'T IT " But thats how things are today in this our wonderful world. Sad

Vince
CaptivePhotons 17 1.7k 2 England
13 May 2007 12:27PM
The last time I went out and had to photograph near children, I made sure that everybody knew what I was doing. I didn't scream and shout or ask anybodies permission (I wasn't photographing the kids) but I did 'over exagerate' my movements and made myself conspicuous to all. I wasn't approached and nobody said anything to me. Took my shots packed up and left.

The trouble will come when someone is caught taking pictures sneakily with a digicam I think.
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
13 May 2007 1:01PM
I made no attempt to disguise my Canon 5D + 17-40L lens when taking this pic.

It would have been pretty difficult to be furtive with that combo anyway! The wide lens is hardly a paparazzi item! Wink

The parents of the child were close by and were totally unconcerned. Had I been hiding behind bushes with a telephoto, I guess it could have looked suspicious.
BEVZED 14 1.1k United Kingdom
13 May 2007 1:02PM
I kicked up a bit of a fuss at the local swimming club a few years ago, with camera phones on the increase you couldn't tell who was texting and who was filming/snapping the juveniles in the pool. It got kicked through to the local authorities and the ASA when they realised I was seriously concerned about my kids. The pool could be seen from the gym as well so it was no good watching poolside activity when you couldn't see who was in the gym!
When I do my train pics and kids can be identified I end up scrapping them unless I ask if their child can be included.
Nobody has refused yet thankfully.
Beverley
13 May 2007 1:04PM

Quote:you couldn't tell who was texting and who was filming/snapping the juveniles in the pool.

I gather that most indecent photos taken of juveniles on camera phones are by other juvenile users!
13 May 2007 1:07PM
You never know do you?
A good few were 'fathers' - but then a good few P.......... are fathers too aren't they!
elowes 17 2.8k United Kingdom
13 May 2007 1:09PM
Strange old world. I have said before there are some very serious issues here but I think we can become paranoid about the whole thing.

My latest encounter with children in images was at a local outdoor ice rink where I was doing some shots for publicity. I was asked if I would take some pictures of a kid by the parents. I doubt the same would apply on a beach but you never know.
13 May 2007 1:11PM
I'd rather ask before I get a smack upside the ear-hole!
Bev
13 May 2007 1:11PM

Quote:but then a good few P.......... are fathers too aren't they

Indeed.... most paedophilia occurs within families - I seem to recall a figure of 70% quoted a year or two back.
looboss 14 3.1k 7 United Kingdom
13 May 2007 1:57PM
It is so sad to see so many people caught up in this paranoia about paedophilia, if these people weren't allowed out in the first place!!! In the old days weren't these types if not in prison were locked up in lunatic asylums out of harms way?
c_evans99 17 7.0k 1 Wales
13 May 2007 2:04PM
In the old days many of them held responsible positions, often in charge of children and a blind eye was turned to their 'peccadillo'.
13 May 2007 2:08PM
Sadly not just in the old days either - if reports of some clergy activities, and episcopal blind eyes being turned, are anything to go by!
looboss 14 3.1k 7 United Kingdom
13 May 2007 2:30PM

Quote:In the old days many of them held responsible positions, often in charge of children and a blind eye was turned to their 'peccadillo'.

OH! and this does not happen now days?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.