Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Enter ePHOTOzine's Prize Draw, with fab gifts for everyone! Click Here

Photographing the Northern Lights

JanieB43 8 47 6 England
13 Nov 2013 4:56PM
With a possible trip to Iceland in the offing next March I need advice on which gear to take. I've got a Canon 7D and a selection of decent lenses. Do I take a prime 20mm or my Sigma 10-20mm or indeed my 18-135mm IS ? Also I'm thinking of investing in a travel tripod and I've heard the Manfrotto BeFree is a good one. Do I need to buy a head for it ?

Can anyone give me any tips as to settings for the perfect Aurora shot too ??

Thanks Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

TyChee Plus
11 275 1 United States
13 Nov 2013 7:06PM
I'm interested in this as well. What is the best month for having the best shot or capturing the northern lights?
JanieB43 8 47 6 England
13 Nov 2013 7:37PM

Quote:What is the best month for having the best shot or capturing the northern lights?

Hi TyChee,

Apparently there's supposed to be increased activity this year up until March/April 2014 but as they're very unpredictable I'm hoping I'm going to get lucky Wink

Jane
IanBurton 7 80 7 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2013 8:37AM
I travelled to Lapland last December when the aurora activity was supposed to be high. Never seen the lights during my 5 night stay, low cloud and continuous snow fall prevented that Sad Was still a lovely experience, particularly for my little daughter. Anyway, I never did any hiking so I took my full sized tripod and head along with my 17-40 & 24-70 lenses. I never took the 17-40 lens off the camera. If I was you I would leave the prime at home and carry both the 10-20 & 18-135. I had a quick look at the Manfrotto BeFree tripod I think the head comes with it. Have a look at the EPZ review also has some other recommendations. Also take a look at the Feisol traveller tripods, they've been getting some good reviews.
Rick51 3 8
14 Nov 2013 11:16AM
Can't help with the photography - but have you seen the Aurora prediction site for Iceland?
http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/aurora/
We were there this March and it was very helpful. We saw the lights 3 times out of 3 tries. We hired an apartment in Reykjavic and a car rather than rely on package trips. It gave us the freedom to do what we wanted rather than being whisked round in a coach.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.