Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Photography in the Yorkshire Dales

rogerdoger 9 18
30 Apr 2014 5:55PM
I am going for a short holiday in the Yorkshire Dales in a couple of weeks time. Can anyone suggest good locations for landscape photography .
Regards Roger
keithh 17 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
30 Apr 2014 6:17PM
Not there's enough space to list them all here. It would help the helpful Northerners to know which part of the dales you will be staying in.
CathyT 15 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
30 Apr 2014 6:18PM
Helpful Northerners!!!....no such thing.
chris.maddock 19 3.7k United Kingdom
30 Apr 2014 6:46PM
Although I'm not a helpful Northerner, here's a starter for ten;
http://www.f22.org.uk/Articles/LazyPhotographer/LazyPhotographer02-YorkshireDales.htm
rogerdoger 9 18
30 Apr 2014 6:54PM
For the Northerners, we are staying in Grassington, but us southerners have cars so we can travel !
Thanks for any help. Roger
213hardy 12 719 England
30 Apr 2014 7:24PM
How long have you got?

I live up the Northern end of the Dales, and i really couldn't list everything, but THIS may be helpful.

At Grassington you're not far from Malham Cove, Kilnsey Crag is just up the road, so are the waterfalls at Cray and of course Skipton is only a few minutes down the road.

If you don't mind travelling a little, Aysgarth falls are maybe half an hour north, Hawes is a little further on and from there you can drop in Swaledale, the dales is pretty much the mollusc of your choice.

Although to be honest wherever you go on the dales you'll find something to shoot.

Den
keithh 17 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
30 Apr 2014 7:25PM
Spoken like a true Southerner. Despite the invention of the horseless carriage it can take an hour to travel 30 miles in the Dales, so knowing your base will make a difference. However,

Janet's Foss in Malhamdale
Malham Cove and Goredale Scar
Bolton Abbey and the waterfall in the Valley of Desolation
Kilnsey Park Fishing Lake for the shot of the farm with the crag behind ( not often done even for Northerners)
Scaleber Force
Ribblehead
Twistleton Scar (if southerners have legs)

Over to somebody else.
DaveRyder Plus
6 5.1k 8 United Kingdom
30 Apr 2014 7:26PM
Hi, depends on what your preferences are.
For railway - Carlisle - Settle railway is nearby. Elerby Railway near Skipton
Scenery - Brimham Rocks,
Qwerky - Take a look at the Forbidden Corner
Castles etc- Fountains Abbey Skipton again
Also Harrogate and Knaresborough (Mother Shiptons Cave)

Your also not far from the southern edge of the Lake District

Most of the above will have web sites - Hope this helps
213hardy 12 719 England
30 Apr 2014 7:29PM
THIS may be useful too?

Den
gaelldew 13 377 United Kingdom
30 Apr 2014 9:00PM
If it aint too parky for you Southerners walk down from the main car park to the River Wharfe and along the river to Burnsall, plenty to photograph in Grassington itself.
andy69 9 9 United Kingdom
30 Apr 2014 10:30PM
Hi Roger , Bolton Abbey is a must , have a look on google for it , you will love it . andy
Big Bri 19 16.7k United Kingdom
30 Apr 2014 10:40PM
I just booked a holiday in Grassington Smile

Haven't been ooop North for ages...
gala 7 1.1k United Kingdom
30 Apr 2014 10:49PM
Try Ingleton waterfalls as well, if you want some long exposure practice
rogerdoger 9 18
30 Apr 2014 11:09PM
Wow, thanks for all the help. Much Appreciated. Some of you northerner are really quite helpful. And there was me thinking you lot still killed and ate the natives !
Many thanks Roger
chris.maddock 19 3.7k United Kingdom
1 May 2014 5:33AM

Quote:Some of you northerner are really quite helpful. And there was me thinking you lot still killed and ate the natives !

Nah, Northerners are OK really.
Mind you, some of them will be in trouble when the new dodecagonal-shape pound coin is introduced in three year's time - with the right size spanner it'll be easier to prise one out of a Yorkshireman's hand Wink

I'm not sure that really is the reason they're going for the same shape as the old thrupenny bit though, I think it's because by then a pound will actually be worth about as much as an old thrupenny bit was Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.