Save 10% On Used Camera Equipment & Lenses From CameraWorld! Use ePHOTO at checkout.

Photography Institute

6 Jul 2010 3:52PM
Hello everyone,

Just wanted to up-date you on the Photography Institute course that myself and Nik are doing. We are embarking upon module 6 this week. For a full update please check out the course review article here .

I have been with epz for nearly three and a half years, but as the Admin/Finance guy, photography knowledge is not what I was employed for, but I have recently caught the bug. I have bought myself a Nikon D3000 and finding the course very helpful in understanding what my camera can do. Hopefully I'll be able to upload some pictures onto epz that can demonstrate this in the near future...

Thanks
Dan

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
6 Jul 2010 3:56PM
Dan,
Just words of warning:
You will soon be asked if you go for it with your own money, or they let you join for free.
And you will soon be questioned about your motivative and advertising for the advertiser etc etc.
So, prepare those answers first.
Smile
Henchard 14 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
6 Jul 2010 4:01PM

Quote:Dan,
Just words of warning:
You will soon be asked if you go for it with your own money, or they let you join for free.
And you will soon be questioned about your motivative and advertising for the advertiser etc etc.
So, prepare those answers first.
Smile

Well we never got an answer the last time the question was asked .

Cynical moi? Wink
Pete Plus
18 18.8k 97 England
6 Jul 2010 4:11PM

Quote:Well we never got an answer the last time the question was asked.

No they didn't pay...does that actually make a difference. If so would you question Jeremy Clarkson about his reviews...or indeed any review by anyone anywhere (apart from Which Consumer) as all are provided with samples to test/review. Why should Dan and Nik on a course be any different?
Gaucho 17 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
6 Jul 2010 4:21PM
Quite!
Boyd 15 11.2k 11 Wales
6 Jul 2010 4:24PM

Quote:No they didn't pay...does that actually make a difference.
Well it certainly sounds like good value for money.
Smile
6 Jul 2010 4:31PM

Quote:No they didn't pay...does that actually make a difference. If so would you question Jeremy Clarkson about his reviews...or indeed any review by anyone anywhere (apart from Which Consumer) as all are provided with samples to test/review. Why should Dan and Nik on a course be any different?

Because it makes a complete mockery of the validity of any opinions expressed and is another example of the 'you scratch my back I'll scratch yours' collusion. It is really just an advert on behalf of an advertiser.

The copy has phrases like

Quote:As with everything on the internet, there are various courses varying in length, style and price but the "new cutting edge photography course" by the Photography Institute, priced at 550, was the one that caught our eye.

'Caught our eye' must be the new euphemism for 'freebie so that we keep our advertisers in the spotlight'.

Why not be upfront and make it clear that the participants are receiving a freebie and thus cannot be impartial?
6 Jul 2010 4:36PM

Quote:Well it certainly sounds like good value for money.

Even if they do have to notify the Inland Revenue of the benefit in kind and pay tax on it Wink
Pete Plus
18 18.8k 97 England
6 Jul 2010 4:40PM
So do you view every item of review anywhere a "you scratch my back" then? I have asked Nik and Dan to be objective about the course. Value for money is a difficult one because to me 500 is a stupid amount of money to pay...I'm a tight northerner. Yet to many it will be a snip if they learn what they need to. And having Dan and Nik, both relative beginners on the course it gives a truer reflection than someone like me or a typical photo journalist reviewer going on it who would have to put our thought process in the mind of a beginner.
And to get Dan talking to me about Zone exposure and compensating for grey values, I'd say it's working...so they can rightfully say so! We always will remain impartial in views it's why we are respected in the industry.

Quote:'Caught our eye'

Before we asked them to do this course we asked them to look around for a course that would provide a rounded range of knowledge...and this one did catch their eye.
6 Jul 2010 4:59PM
Pete you haven't answered the question

Why not be upfront and make it clear that the participants are receiving a freebie and thus cannot be impartial?

The bottom line is if someone is receiving a 550 freebie they are very unlikely to say that the freebie is not very good (and I have no idea if this is good or not). As a tight northener you'll also know the phrase 'never look a gift horse in the mouth'.
Pete Plus
18 18.8k 97 England
6 Jul 2010 5:09PM
Because reviewers CAN be impartial. I can't ever remember any TV reviewers or magazine reviewers having to verify that they've been given kit. As I say why is epz any different...is it because we have a forum so you can easily raise the question? Have you wrote to Clarkson or Gadget Show and asked them? What about all the book and music reviews in Nationals...do you question their opinion?
Boyd 15 11.2k 11 Wales
6 Jul 2010 5:24PM
There's some interesting reading here regarding legislature in the States which is trying to address disclosure of relationships with on-line reviewers and the products and services that they may or may not endorse.
It seems to be a grey area but I suppose that full disclosure of anything that could introduce bias into a review can only enhance a reviewers perceived integrity.
Pete Plus
18 18.8k 97 England
6 Jul 2010 5:38PM
Interesting reading...thanks Boyd
The thing is if we had a disclaimer, then surely no one would believe high scoring products?
As I've said twice in this thread we do intend to be totally credible. We do not give products a good review if we don't think they are...even if the items are given to us. I can find loads of examples but this was the quickest to lay my hands on
Book review
We never pay for books. Some I gush about, some I don't. It's whatever I like, not who I like. I even gave a bad review to one of my mates in the industry. The team are asked to do the same.
tj Plus
16 2.1k England
6 Jul 2010 5:38PM
The Photography Institute is my client. I offered an editorial write-up (diary) of their course by two staff members fairly new to photography, clearly explaining to the client that it would not be biased in any way. He was happy they could be totally honest as he has complete confidence in the course and is keen for feedback from us regarding the positives and any negatives.

Editorial integrity is of upmost importance to us.
arhb Plus
12 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
6 Jul 2010 5:45PM
I don't think that the timing has been good, with regard to the advertizing campaign and the 'review' forum topic starting at almost the same time.
Also, for this review to have any merit, it will have to be one of several, in order for comparisons to be made between the different couses.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.