Panasonic 'Nature' Competition - Win A LUMIX FZ1000 II!

Photography Institute

tj Plus
16 2.1k England
6 Jul 2010 5:56PM

Quote:for this review to have any merit, it will have to be one of several, in order for comparisons to be made between the different couses.

That could be an option.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JamesGarfield 10 915 4 United Kingdom
6 Jul 2010 6:31PM
I must admit that i'm looking forward to reading the full review, there has to be a certain amount of trust between the reader and the publisher when it comes to this sort of thing and I'm pretty sure EPZ wouldn't risk it's reputation over this.

I was toying with doing the course myself but even though i've emailed the Photography Institute i'm still not really sure whether the final qualification is industry recognised?
8 Jul 2010 10:10AM
Hello,

Dan and I are now moving onto module six of this course and throughout the last five modules we've always spoke about the course openly and honestly. In fact the very first module I said: "Overall, the information supplied was useful and in depth however, you can find the same information in photography books." We've also commented on how some of the parts were a little boring and on occasion not worthwhile. Yes, we have had several positive comments but that's because we've generally felt we've benefited from what the course has to offer not because we didn't have to pay to attend. Also, don't forget that we are only half way through the course so we have six more modules to work through before we make any final conclusions about the course.

Nik.
James_C 10 36 56 United Kingdom
1 Aug 2010 8:56PM
Hi, I haven't read your write ups yet but....

I have been taking photgraphs on and off for the last 50 years. Due to deteriorating health problems I have had to give up work. I have been looking around for some time for a course that will improve my photography and - maybe, if I'm good enough - make some money from it to subsidise my meagre resources that have largely been gobbled up by medical costs.
Amongst others I have looked at local my local colledge's courses - 1 evening couse aimed at beginners to help them make digital photographs and make prints, 2 1/2 hrs/week,10 weeks 90; West Dean has a good selection of 2 - 5 day courses that work out at around 60-80/day and various internet based courses. In the end I chose the Photographic Institute course - 22 weeks 550 - because it seemed to me the most rounded course that even gives advise on websites and marketing as well as the actual photography bit.
To my mind the Photography I nstitute won hands down and when I phoned some previous students I heard nothing but good reports. Searching the internet for bad reports turned up nothing that worried me.
I am just starting module 3 and so far can honestly say that, although I was aware of a fair amount that has been covered so far, I have been forced to think about things again from basics and I am definitely learning.
In my financial position I have to think very carefully how to spend my money. So far I believe I have made the right choice.

James
James_C 10 36 56 United Kingdom
2 Aug 2010 7:23AM
"Did he mention the previous unflattering comments about the so-called Photography 'Institute' on this forum?"

I would suggest that the comments of people actually doing the course are very positive.

James
ubik 9 47 United Kingdom
2 Aug 2010 11:55AM
I'll be signing up for this course in the next day or two - Got a 100 off code by email from them by signing up to their prospectus Smile

A friend of mine is part way through and has recommended it too
tj Plus
16 2.1k England
3 Aug 2010 1:31PM

Quote:I've just re-read this thread

TJ says: "The Photography Institute is my client. I offered an editorial write-up (diary) of their course by two staff members fairly new to photography"

Yet, as pointed out, the review says: "As with everything on the internet, there are various courses varying in length, style and price but the "new cutting edge photography course" by the Photography Institute, priced at 550, was the one that caught our eye."

It's as if someone's being untruthful

I take your point.
To be clear, they had an option of a few clients and this is the one they chose.
ubik 9 47 United Kingdom
5 Aug 2010 6:50PM
I am one of the keen amateur/wannabe togs this is targetted at, I don't feel manipulated at all and its common sense not to take as gospel any single opinion, be it a person or a respected website like this.

I have just signed up for the course and am delighted with what I've seen so far - The course material for the first two modules is vast, far larger than I ever expected - I was starting to feel quite sheepish as the office printer churned out almost 70 pages of reading material for the first module alone.

I have recieved several emails and one from my tutor with masses of information, suggestions of reading material and websites that I can look at as well as an invitation to contact him whenever needed, or even to chat about my aspirations and where I want it to take me, what areas I am interested in etc

Looking good so far Smile
last ten 14 416 Isle of Man
21 Sep 2010 8:33PM
Guys, love the idea of participating in the Photography Institute 24 week course!

But can someone please tell me what is awarded on successful completion of the course?

Cheers Peter
KenTaylor Plus
14 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
21 Sep 2010 11:35PM

Quote:But can someone please tell me what is awarded on successful completion of the course?

They say a Diploma which is not academic although it would steer you through a structured course that otherwiose you could be all over the place on your own with books and the internet.

Not to mention satisfaction and confidence from it that will depend on how much you put into it and of course the quality of the tutor.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.