Get 5% off Loupedeck Live with code: Ephotozine5

Photography magazines

hobbo Plus
9 1.7k 3 England
13 Sep 2014 10:09AM
I can't afford to buy regular printed copies of the main Photography Magazines available in the UK, recently a good friend has taken to acquiring ex public library copies sold at just 20 pence each when they have been officially Discarded.

I browse them, then feel pleased that I haven't had to fork out the cover price.....why?

Because, when analysed they contain mostly advertising, plus a couple of letter pages, a short editorial, then reviews, tutorials, reader's pics etc.
All very good, but all of this ( and more) is available online and on YouTube nowadays, so are printed magazines outdated media?

One article that did get my attention was one featuring the four year old ....Panasonic LX5 .......pushed as leader of the pack in its class by them back then......only to be dismissed as old hat by them now.

Perhaps, we should all buy brand new/improved equipment every three years or so, or we will be left behind?

Just a rantWink

Hobbo
JJGEE 15 7.8k 18 England
13 Sep 2014 10:19AM

Quote:so are printed magazines outdated media?

No I do not think so.

Admittedly I do not buy photography magazines very often these days but from time to time it is nice to just, say while having lunch, browse through one, read the odd article or two but perhaps more importantly look at the printed photographs giving the eyes a break from looking at a computer monitor !
seahawk 13 1.4k United Kingdom
13 Sep 2014 10:38AM
The only one I buy is Outdoor Photography (UK version) as it's not fixated on equipment but on taking photos and the locations to take them in. Agree that advertising dominates most of the others.
As for the LX5 - I have one, bought s/h, and I love it as a pocket camera. I wish it had a VF but otherwise I feel no urge to change it for something new (though the new Sony RX100 with the pop-up VF is tempting!)
sitan1 Plus
12 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
13 Sep 2014 11:15AM
I just gave 10 years worth of magazines to the local camera club, they filled up the boot of my car I had so many, I dread to think how much money I spent on them over this length of time but I also had a lot of enjoyment out of them.
My faves where practical photography and photography monthly at the beginning as the content, involvement and interaction with their readers was so much more, including events which everyone went along too.
Nowadays so much of the magazines is just repeated every few months to attract new readers, it is a business after all, but I don't get anything from them anymore so stopped buying them and gave my collection away.
The lack of interaction now including shutting down all their forums makes me feel there is no connection with the readers anymore which is a shame.
As said above with online content you can get pretty much everything u need for free.
Magazines are probably more worthwhile to new photographers to learn some basics before it's repeated again a few months later.
STUARTHILL758 18 38 1 United Kingdom
13 Sep 2014 11:25AM
If you are a canon user the best you can buy is the EOS mag a great and informative mag
Chris_L 6 5.5k United Kingdom
13 Sep 2014 11:31AM
When I was into early 16 bit computers I couldn't wait for Amiga Format or New Computer Express, I used to devour every word. Never ever felt the same about photography magazines.

I used to buy but quickly found them repetitive - haven't looked at any for ages but I imagine many of the technique mags are starting to get autumn leaves on the covers perhaps with fireworks, pumpkins and sparklers coming up.

When I've picked one up the reviews and news is way behind the web, sometimes the reader queries are culled from their online forum, copied and pasted.

That in a nutshell, is the problem.

I'd maybe buy one to read on a journey if it's more convenient than trying to read the same subject on the web.
sherlob Plus
14 3.1k 129 United Kingdom
13 Sep 2014 11:44AM
Over the years I have subscribed to numerous magazines and cancelled the subscriptions within 18months - the reason, the content is repetitive. In fact, I found the magazines like practical photography didn't just regurgitate the same themes each year, but also the same images to illustrate it.

That said, these days I subscribe to Black & White Photography (and have done for 3-4 years). It has a niche target audience, and as such can therefore afford to be far more selective in terms of its content. I find it an enjoyable read and look forward to each issue. That's not to say I like all the content, or that it isn't biased in terms of content. However, to me its a like a breath of fresh air when compared to the rest.
Overread 12 4.1k 19 England
13 Sep 2014 12:03PM
What shocks me is that in the USA the British magazines on photography are supposed to be very good in comparison to what they get - and most of the time my thoughts mirror those said above; that the content is repetitive and very light on details.

It also always annoyed me that all the editing was done on photoshop = pre the new contract approach to getting Photoshop this meant that any beginner basically was expected to shell out as much as they'd just done on the camera, on the editing software in order to do any touch-up tips the magazines gave. Why they didn't use elements or something more affordable is beyond me.

Articles annoy me too - most are just so simple and quick that there is no meat; its rather like a lot of TV documentaries - pretty pictures and childish commentary with nothing to really engage or draw the person in more. Only the magazines then add half of their pages as advertisements. I'd not mind the latter if they content they gave was solid and had appeal beyond the first year or so of owning a camera; but they don't so it just adds to the problem.

I suspect we'll see this pattern continue until such time as the market for new photographers dries up or shrinks considerably. Thus forcing magazines to either adapt to an intermediate or advanced market or they'll slowly fall apart.

Honestly I'd say get something like National Geographic - fantastic inspirational photos and good articles.
sitan1 Plus
12 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
13 Sep 2014 12:44PM
Also when the digital age started taking hold the magazines where still very much about getting it right in camera so showed much more techniques and explanations but nowadays it's all about how to photoshop it so proper techniques are more on the back burner.
petebfrance 8 2.9k France
13 Sep 2014 12:59PM
He he. It's quite amusing. I can afford to buy my regular monthly magazine, but I note that the OP is using a camera that I can't affordTongue How much are these magazines? Mine costs €5.30 a month, and there 11 editions per year (seems they go on hols in the summer!) I enjoy reading them, don't need to be on-line so can sprawl comfortably on the couch, learn stuff and so on. Somehow it's a much more relaxed affair than sitting at the computer using the internet. Now, of course, many people nowadays sprawl comfortably on the couch with a tablet or smart phone but I don't have either of those - if I did I don't think I could afford to buy the magazines so......
plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Wink
Snapper 15 4.5k 3 United States Outlying Islands
13 Sep 2014 1:12PM

Quote:
That said, these days I subscribe to Black & White Photography (and have done for 3-4 years). It has a niche target audience, and as such can therefore afford to be far more selective in terms of its content. I find it an enjoyable read and look forward to each issue. That's not to say I like all the content, or that it isn't biased in terms of content. However, to me its a like a breath of fresh air when compared to the rest.

I've subscribed to this one on and off over the years, and currently have a cheap subscription through a Tesco Clubcard deal, but I'll not be renewing it as I don't find myself looking forward to it dropping through the letterbox. What has surprised me more is that I have access to AP via the library and rarely bother looking at it nowadays as I'm not really in the market for gear.
SlowSong Plus
12 9.3k 30 England
13 Sep 2014 2:26PM
You can't beat relaxing on the settee, in bed or in the garden with a real magazine. I can't stand reading stuff on a screen. I get B&W Photographer delivered and it's my favourite. Others I pick up at the supermarket if there's something interesting in them but I do like AP every week.
Ross_D 6 841 1 United Kingdom
13 Sep 2014 2:51PM

Quote:You can't beat relaxing on the settee, in bed or in the garden with a real magazine

I agree - but that doesn't happen very often as far as I'm concerned. I'm a 'buy at random' person as I usually spend some time browsing in the 'Reading Room for the Terminally Tight Fisted' (ie W H Smiths). The only mags I buy now (and then infrequently) are B&W Photography and Outdoor Photography.

However, I subscribe to the RPS and their new journal is superb - a great variation in images, creativity and style, good articles and great paper quality that give a professional feel to the images.

Btw, why do b&w images in B&W Photography look so artistic as compared to colour images in Oudoor Photography (and other mags) ? For instance, on the front cover of this months B&W Photography mag, there is a very grainy shot of the top 4/5ths of the Eiffel Tower. If it had been in colour it would surely been dismissed as rubbish (IMO anyway Smile)
sitan1 Plus
12 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
13 Sep 2014 4:01PM
To save money I usually go in whsmiths and flick through them on the shelf whilst waiting for a train Grin
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
13 Sep 2014 6:37PM
A number of years ago I was getting a quarterly magazine called Photoicon, in the second year I paid a one year subscription and the mag folded just after I had got the first issue Sad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.