WEX Offer: Save 50 On The Olympus OM-D E-M1X

Photography Notebook

SaraSmile 11 19 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2009 6:18PM
I have just joined the site and hope to get some advice for more seasoned photographers.

I have decided to take my photography hobby more seriously. I have been doing more research, reading and of course practicing.

I have started to keep a notebook as I go along listing: techniques of a certain shot, software techniques, brainstorming for future shoots, gear I want, etc. I am guessing this isn't uncommon.

For those that keep a similar notebook, what do you record? How do you organise it?
Zonda 11 303 1
5 Jul 2009 6:33PM
I think i did that too...in the dim and distant past.
Zonda 11 303 1
5 Jul 2009 6:35PM
I gave it up in the end, because i was writing more than i was taking pics.
xanda 16 244 2 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2009 6:45PM
Welcome to EPZ!

It's a great idea to keep such a notebook, if you can also keep it going, and if you actually refer to it Smile
5 Jul 2009 6:47PM

Quote:I gave it up in the end, because i was writing more than i was taking pics.

You probably got good enough not to need it!! I am still in the toddler stage. Smile
rowarrior 12 4.4k 9 Scotland
5 Jul 2009 6:53PM
I had one I planned to use but keep forgetting to! I did get as far as organising it kind of filofax fashion by the type of photography I was hoping to do though
User_Removed 14 2.1k 7 England
5 Jul 2009 6:55PM
Welcome,

I always have a notebook with me, not just for photography. But I don't write settings or anything. I use it for ideas - the kind of thing that comes to me when walking and I forget by the next day.

The thing I have found with it is I don't always do the things I have written down but they lead to other things. Writing is just part of the creative process for me.

Don't feel pressure to do it though, just if it works for you.

H
Zonda 11 303 1
5 Jul 2009 7:09PM
I write ideas down too...On little scraps of paper that usually get lost
User_Removed 18 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2009 7:15PM
I carry a notebook mainly to record a location with the sun's position for the time of year, that sort of thing so I can return again and hopefully with better conditions.

Gerry.
Zonda 11 303 1
5 Jul 2009 7:17PM
That's a sound landscape plan. I carry a fungi notebook on my forays.
sherlob Plus
14 3.1k 129 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2009 7:32PM
Hi Sara,

Welcome to the site.

I once experimented with a notebook also, I have to admit that I still use one, but now I don't use it to record down the details of the shots I take, rather I use it to plan the shots I want to take.

If you're shooting digitally, it can be useful to refer back to the exif data which usually combines with each exposure.

I hope you enjoy the site.

Regards, Adam
User_Removed 16 17.9k 8 Norway
5 Jul 2009 9:06PM
Gerry! Gerry!...

Please keep up! Notebooks for that sort of function are a thing of the past! Technology has taken over old thing!...

Grin

(Welcome Sara - zaniness is a virtue here. Wink)
Zonda 11 303 1
5 Jul 2009 9:16PM

Quote:Technology has taken over old thing!...
Gawd...whatta put down, poor Gerry...LOL
5 Jul 2009 9:37PM

Quote:Gerry! Gerry!...

Please keep up! Notebooks for that sort of function are a thing of the past! Technology has taken over old thing!...

I must be old skool. I like the feel of something tangible in my hands -- paper not electronic.

Next you will be saying I need a camera with NO film. NO FILM!! What has this world come to! (I kid, I do use a digital).

ETA: I am not 100 years old, despite my last few posts. Smile
JJGEE 15 7.8k 18 England
5 Jul 2009 10:03PM
I still have a film camera and for the last 25+ years have always and still do carry a notebook to record what is now known in the "Digital" age as EXIF data.

So when a transparency comes back, say, underexposed I can look at my notes and see what metering method I used and from where I took the meter reading and yes I still get it wrong from time to time in tricky lighting Sad

Even with a digital camera I still need to record such details like location, names of builldings, e.g. churches and flowers/plants/trees etc.

So the notebook is still n my backpack every outing.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.