Photography Up...............Cameras Down?

Carabosse 16 41.3k 270 England
25 Apr 2017 12:51PM
Without a doubt social media has made the taking of photos an everyday event for a significant proportion of the population in the developed world. With Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram etc, photography has become almost like eating: something you do as a matter of course without thinking too much about it.

So that's great news for camera manufacturers, right? Smile Er, no it isn't. Sad Here is an interesting article .

A few quotes:

- "2016 seems to be the worst year for the entire camera market so far, with the total drop of whopping 81% when compared to 2010?"

- "the phone cameras keep getting better, and you can get a decent photo quality. And they are certainly going to improve even further. So, many people choose to keep on shooting on their smartphone instead of investing in a new camera."

- "Aside from professionals, a younger generation isnít generally interested in cameras. They prefer using their smartphones for taking photos. This is not the case only when taking snapshots, but even at the point when they actually get interested in photography."

- "some of the large camera manufacturers may disappear from the market by the end of the decade"

So what are the implications for camera makers like Canon, Nikon and Pentax/Ricoh for whom this is the major part of their activity.... unlike say Panasonic and Sony (general electronics) or Olympus (medical equipment).

Perhaps they will all start making smartphones! grin-light.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy Plus
15 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
25 Apr 2017 1:30PM

Quote:So what are the implications for camera makers like Canon, Nikon and Pentax/Ricoh for whom this is the major part of their activity

Canon and Ricoh are not just camera manufacturers - printers/projectors/photocopiers/etc. So they have a little more leigh-way then Nikon who mainly deal in optics, I guess. Most likely they will scale down operations.

Smartphones will never be able to do it all, as the form factor is a bit of a limit but for most people they are better than the camera they have and more convenient.

Quote:Perhaps they will all start making smartphones!

I really think they need to start embedding android into their cameras and making Apps & wifi available on "real cameras". At the moment cameras are so much less user friendly than a smartphone when it comes to usage. This needs to change, then people can upgrade from their smartphone without losing all their functionality.

SteveCharles 16 2.3k 18 England
25 Apr 2017 2:39PM

Quote:I really think they need to start embedding android into their cameras and making Apps & wifi available on "real cameras". At the moment cameras are so much less user friendly than a smartphone when it comes to usage. This needs to change, then people can upgrade from their smartphone without losing all their functionality.

This is a good point. For many, Instagram and other social media is the whole point of the photographs. As a 'serious' photographer, I usually have a camera with me but take more spontaneous images on my phone, especially since getting a (work issue) iPhone 7. The quality is good enough, and the use likely to be online, that the extra processes involved in using a camera start to seem to much faff for a lot of observational stuff.

Quote:Smartphones will never be able to do it all, as the form factor is a bit of a limit but for most people they are better than the camera they have and more convenient.

As with my point before, the quality is good enough now that I use my phone for so-called 'professional' use if something needs photographing and using in a hurry for work. But the form factor I agree with, using a phone can be annoying from a UI point of view.
25 Apr 2017 3:07PM
As, it seems, we have got to the stage where cameras in smartphones are sometimes good enough for 'on the hoof' professional photography the camera as a standalone device may come - in time - to be seen as a limitation on photography.......... bizarre as that may currently sound!

Or something only grandad uses, if you are one of the present pre-teen generation. Wink

petebfrance 7 2.8k France
26 Apr 2017 12:40PM
It's interesting. As part of the grandad generation I still haven't succombed to a smart phone and use 35 (or was it 25?) Euro dumb phone that I bought quite a long time ago. I must admit that I'm tempted by the idea of having a pocket-sized camera. I don't carry a phone with me all the time and suspect that a good 1" sensor compact would be cheaper than buying a high-end smart phone (or 'renting' as part of a package). I haven't looked into that in any detail, though. The low-end compacts don't attract me much because they tend to be pretty poor in low light, start at f3.5 or something and so on - a pity, the prospect of a £100-£200 small camera would be tempting if it had any low-light capability.
I think it's nice, though, that more people are taking photos. I could never understand anyone not having some sort of camera!
26 Apr 2017 4:51PM
I do get the impression that smartphones are only incidentally used for phone calls.

The main usage seems to be to check on the latest on your preferred social media, play games and listen to your (entire) music collection. cool-light.jpg

jembo 15 139 United Kingdom
26 Apr 2017 6:42PM
Smartphones have their purpose but give me an SLR any day. The problem is that the rate of technobabble improvements keeps prices high.
Are we ever going to see prices for new camearas fall? Probably not. We just end up paying for additional features that most of us will never use.
I would love to upgrade my 5D but to what? I want full frame the usual exposure modes, bulb, and a decent ISO. Other than that I'm sorted. Will I really see the difference in a marginally bigger rear screen? Do I really need a zillion custom functions?
To be honest, I am losing my photography bug - and that's one reason I'm back playing with my ETRSi.
26 Apr 2017 11:55PM

Quote: Smartphones have their purpose but give me an SLR any day

Would I be right in thinking you aren't in the under-30 age group? Wink

That's the point of course. We will have a whole generation who have taken loads and loads of photos but have never used a camera and have no desire to own one.
keithh 15 25.5k 33 Wallis And Futuna
27 Apr 2017 6:02PM
They do own one, it just happens to have a phone built into it.
28 Apr 2017 2:23AM
Lol! They don't want to own a device which can't multitask. That's the point. tongue-light.jpg

I can't browse the internet, or check social media, or play games or listen to music on any of my cameras. Whilst that doesn't bother me, it makes these devices pretty much useless in the eyes of those who have been using multitasking devices from a very early age.

This appears to be the case, even when these young individuals start to get more seriously interested in photography - as suggested in the report I linked to. That had got to be a worry for those camera manufacturers who are not very diversified in their manufacturing.

29 Apr 2017 12:04PM
This is quite an iconic photo in its own way!

9207_1493463835.jpg

RamblinSam 6 31 United Kingdom
5 May 2017 12:35PM
Quite why camera manufacturers can't or don't want to offer a way of automatically transferring selected jpeg images into a folder on a photographer's smartphone, has always baffled me, especially in the case of Sony, which is also a smartphone manufacturer! Offering the option this way, via one of it's menus shouldn't be that difficult, after all, some decades ago press photographers could purchase a camera 'bolt-on' that enabled them to wire images to media sources, but if my (fuzzy!) memory serves me correctly, these units were really expensive, maybe because they perceived the users of them would be press togs working for newspapers etc that supplied them with their cameras, so they priced these items accordingly.

Things have changed dramatically media-wise since those days and maybe some of these camera manufacturers think that announcing a tie-up with a mobile phone manufacturer, is going to make these users think more seriously about using a smartphone instead of the cameras they make?!
Chris_L 5 5.3k United Kingdom
5 May 2017 12:50PM

Quote:Quite why camera manufacturers can't or don't want to offer a way of automatically transferring selected jpeg images into a folder on a photographer's smartphone, has always baffled me, especially in the case of Sony, which is also a smartphone manufacturer!

Sony absolutely do offer that feature, others too.
saltireblue Plus
9 9.9k 36 Norway
5 May 2017 1:43PM

Quote:
Quote:Quite why camera manufacturers can't or don't want to offer a way of automatically transferring selected jpeg images into a folder on a photographer's smartphone, has always baffled me, especially in the case of Sony, which is also a smartphone manufacturer!

Sony absolutely do offer that feature, others too.

The Fuji X-T2 allows you to transfer jpegs to your phone.

(The Fuji app not only transfers images to your phone, but is used as a remote for operating the camers, including changing settings...)
5 May 2017 8:06PM
Panasonic, Olympus, Sony, Canon, Nikon, Leica, Fuji and Pentax/Ricoh all offer apps which allow you to easily transfer images from camera to smartphone or tablet, wirelessly.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.