Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Exclusive 25% off Affinity Photo: Professional photo editing with no subscription!

Photography vetting in the UK

Batties 15 87
2 Apr 2003 3:27PM
Can anyone help me? I have been ask to take some photos at my local swimming club gala evening. Because I will be working with children etc I have been told I must be vetted for child protection issues. I am happy to cooperate etc. My question is after I have been vetted will I be able to gain access to these records to show other protential clients? Is there a form on the internet I can download or is there a site that is useful on this matter. You guys on this forum have helped me out with other photo related issues in the past and have been extremly helpful.

I would be interested to know if anyone else has experienced these issues?

Looking forward to any replies.



Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 16 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
2 Apr 2003 3:37PM
Hi Mark

I think what you are looking for is a CRB Disclosure certificate. Many firms offer to get one for you and charge a fee (The Society of Wedding and Portrait Photographers for instance charge 30).

In fact, no fee is payable and this information is freely available if you know how to get it.

To clarify one thing - there is no legal requirement for anyone who photographs children to have this certificate despite what you might be told. However, it does give people peace of mind to know that a person who is dealing with their children (in whatever capacity) does not have a criminal record and is not on the Sexual Offenders register.

The information is gleaned from the Police and other Stauatory Authorities.

The Govenment has a website specifically to deal with this and it is at: www.disclosure.gov.uk

Hope this helps you

bppowell 16 2.2k 2 England
2 Apr 2003 3:49PM
Have a look at the following website


bppowell 16 2.2k 2 England
2 Apr 2003 3:51PM
we must of worked on that at the same time.

Batties 15 87
2 Apr 2003 4:01PM
I knew you guys would come up trumps but I never suspected it so quickly. Thanks I will take a look at the site. I am told I need a registered body number to obtain CRB Disclosure Certificate How on earth do I obtain one of these?

Thanks for the replies so far most helpful.

User_Removed 16 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
2 Apr 2003 4:42PM
Hi Barry

Must be something in the name I suppose......even if you do spell it the wrong way Smile
bppowell 16 2.2k 2 England
2 Apr 2003 9:54PM
I must be a bit slow on the uptake today, Barrie said I was spelling it the wrong way; so I checked how I had spelt discolsure then the way he had spelt disclosure. They looked the same so I checked again and they still looked to be spelt the same way. After about 5 minutes it dawned on me.

Jeff Russell 15 420
3 Apr 2003 12:19AM
I think they mean that you have to be a member of a recognised photographic body and want your membership number on the form.

bppowell 16 2.2k 2 England
3 Apr 2003 9:28AM
I do not think you have to be a member of any club or organization, if you can produce the documents asked for then you should be able to get clearance for yourself.

paulowen 16 146
7 Apr 2003 11:23AM
Hi folks. Just to clarify a few points on this issue, there is most certainly a charge for this service and you cannot apply for this information yourselves you have to use what the CRB call an umbrella body (unless you want to pay a registration fee of 300).

There is a search facility on the CRB website that lets you search for a registered body near you so its quite easy.

The physical charge by the CRB is 12 so whoever you apply to for the information will obviously put a mark up on this price but generally this is just a few pounds.

I know its a pain but as a parent myself I can fully understand how it would put a parents mind at ease.

I hope this helps?
Batties 15 87
7 Apr 2003 11:53AM
Thanks for all your replys guys. I was under the impression if some body (for example my swimming club) run a CRB search on you the CRB would send you a copy for your own personal records. If this is not the case after the search has been done should I apply in person at a cost of 12.00

Once again thanks for all your help I really do appreciate it.

photodoctor 15 101
8 Apr 2003 12:36AM
Hi Mark.
I was vetted around 18 months ago to work with Brownie Guides. I can't offer advice on the procedure as it was all organised by the Guide Assoc. However, I would suggest that you get things started as soon as poss as the procedure seems to take some time.
Batties 15 87
8 Apr 2003 12:57PM
Thanks Photodoctor,

After being vetted by the Guide Association were you sent CRB disclosure report? or did you have to obtain one directly at a cost of 12.00. Also do you use your CRB report to your advantage to reasure customers etc.

ella 15 43
8 Apr 2003 10:34PM
I have enhanced CRB disclosure, and my husband has the standard one. We did it through the early years department and OFSTED. It cost 12, but we were able to retain the certificate.

If you have children yourself, the school or preschool should be able to organise it for you.

It often takes a very long time, and you need to be 100% sure that the forms are correctly completed as this is the cause of most of the delays.

You must find out what level of disclosure is required by your client. An enhanced disclosure is not normally needed and also slows the system down for teachers etc. who also need the disclosure.

Hope this helps

photodoctor 15 101
9 Apr 2003 12:03AM
Hi Mark.
I've never seen any disclosure report. I was issued a Guide Assoc. "warrant" that allows me to work with the Brownies and attend residential events ie. I can stay overnight at camps etc.
I was not charged for the vetting - I assume that the charges were met by the Guide Assoc.
Sorry that I can't be more help. Chris.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.