Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Photography Website Advice Needed - Decisions, Decisions!!

29 Sep 2014 11:42AM
I plan to set up my own photography website with a view to showcasing and maybe selling some of my best images.
Iím a little unsure as to how I should proceed and would appreciate advice from those with experience in this area.

Iíve decided to purchase a Foliopic website and have settled on the ďAdvancedĒ option.
At the moment I have a travel blog website which I set up for a trip to India which I donít update any more. I bought the domain name for this website and the hosting package through IPage and used a free Wordpress theme.

Itís time now for me to pay another 1 years subscription to ke
ep the domain name for my travel website but Iíve decided not to renew it.

Iíve had an e-mail from Ipage inviting me to buy another domain name for 1$ a month for the first year (the price goes up after that but it still seems reasonable).

My confusion is:

When I purchase the foliopic website do I still have to purchase a domain name from a hosting service such as Ipage and then link the two together somehow?

Any advice and opinions on photogrpic website/domain names would be much appreciated as Iím in www.iím confused land.com at the moment.

Iím at work today and may not be home until late so apologies in advance if I canít respond to any advice quickly.

Also, posting this from my iPhone so apologies for any typos etc

Thanks in advance
Elaine
puertouk 9 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
29 Sep 2014 3:46PM
You will not be able to get a .co.uk through ipage, as they are American. There a lot of places, but try these You can get a .co.uk name for 1 year for £4.99. I would try and purchase a domain name for 3 years.
Hope this helps
Stephen
29 Sep 2014 7:43PM
Hi Stephen,

Yes the link does help...thanks for your advice and pointing me in the right direction.

Cheers
Elaine Grin
LouiseTopp 10 634 United Kingdom
30 Sep 2014 4:30PM
How does this work with a free website please?
1 Oct 2014 8:55PM
Hi Louise,

I've just bought my domain name from names.co after following the link that Stephen gave above in his post.

They were advertising free websites although I'm not quite sure how it works.

Elaine Grin
2 Oct 2014 9:45AM
I'd like a free website because Weebly is good, Spanglefish wont do want I want which is a bit like Wix which does opposite of what I ask it too.

Can you recommend a free website, or how do I get one off names?
Chris_L 7 5.5k United Kingdom
2 Oct 2014 9:52AM
It might help to think of domain names and websites as separate things. The domain name is like your name - Joe Bloggs, the website is like your address 255 Some Server, Some Datacentre, The Internet.

Companies sell domain names, webspace etc but you don't have to buy from the same place, a package deal can work out cheaper and it makes things a bit simpler.

Somebody like Namesco may do a deal where if you buy your domain name from them (often the more expensive dot com type) they'll give you some free webspace.

If you can't create your own pages with your computer (and upload them to that webspace) you have to get someone else to build it for you Or use your host's online editor and templates - these may be okay for a tradesman with contact details and a logo but not enough for a fully-functioning photography website.
2 Oct 2014 10:05AM
I'm pants at HTML that's what attracted me to pages like Wix and weebly because I had control over it, and it wasn't too difficult.
Chris_L 7 5.5k United Kingdom
2 Oct 2014 10:07AM
You should try Wordpress. Most hosts allow a one click install from their control panel. There are many themes for photographers, many free and many very good.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.