Today only! Up to 52% off Sony Cameras at Amazon UK!

Photolease - Anyone used them

hobbs Plus
16 1.3k Japan
26 Oct 2012 2:48PM
I'm going to be replacing a couple of camera bodies in the next couple of months and I'm looking to lease instead of buying. I was wondering if anyone has had any dealings with Photolease and if you have what your experience was like with them.
thewilliam 12 6.1k
26 Oct 2012 3:03PM
When you lease camera gear, you're effectively borrowing money and this always comes at a cost.

Leasing was a good idea in the past because the whole cost could be offset against tax. Now we have the Annual Investment Allowance, the whole purchase cost is tax-deductible in the first year of ownership, up to some high figure that I don't need to remember.

Do the sums!
hobbs Plus
16 1.3k Japan
26 Oct 2012 4:07PM
It use to be upto 100k, it was reduced to 25k in June, I'm not looking to do it for tax reasons. With my business being very young I don't want to make a large capital investment up front. I've also done some investigation and Photolease seem to come across as one of the better companies to deal with. I was just asking to see if anyone had any experience of dealing with them. Smile
scottishphototours 16 2.6k 2
26 Oct 2012 8:55PM
Just finished a Photolease for a large amount of new kit, over 2 years. Did it this way for the reasons you mention.

Very nice people to deal with, annual documentation sent to you for tax reasons, final payment allows you to keep or sell the equipment. Calumet keen to take the gear off my hands at the end of the lease and upgrade accordingly with new lease.

Only suggestion would be to get together ALL the gear you need and get it as one lease. Don't get some and add more on later as they start a new lease and roll it all together, and that can cost you more. They also do car leases too.

Believe Calumet now pushing a rival which is slightly cheaper than PL - name escapes me.

PM me if required...

Andy
scottishphototours 16 2.6k 2
28 Oct 2012 11:24AM
Don't mention it, you're welcome...
hobbs Plus
16 1.3k Japan
28 Oct 2012 12:26PM
Been away for a couple of days thanks for the info, much appricated. Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.