GB Sports Photographer & The Panasonic LUMIX S1

Photomatrix Pro 3.0 problem with 'blotches'

webjam 15 292 11 Netherlands
20 Nov 2008 9:26PM
Still haven't bought the Photomatrix software because I tend to see some ugly patches when converting to HDR, using the demo.
These patches often occur in the water - seems like hard edge blodges - sorry, my English is just not good enough to explain it. I think it might have to do with the reflection of light on the water. I tried several sliders, but I can't get rid of them.

Does anybody know these 'blotches' and how to get rid of them? Then I can finally buy the software.

Jacqueline

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

andytvcams 17 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2008 9:36PM
Do you really need it ?.
RogBrown 12 3.1k 10 England
20 Nov 2008 9:44PM
Yes you do sometimes get this effect. The way I deal with it is to accept the blotches in the hdr shot & get rid of them in PS by blending in parts of one of the original exposures. In this shot. the reflections in the water looked awful, so I cut & pasted the entire watery bits from the middle of the 3 hdr exposures. Hope this is clear.
Rog
20 Nov 2008 9:57PM
Thank you for your advice, Rog. I will try this on the demo result. Though I hoped that there was an easier and quicker solution!

Andy, I normally merge different bracketed shots by using layer masks, but sometimes it is too difficult to get good results. HDR is close to what people view, so I am experimenting with it to see if it works for me and if I like the results.

I know that perfect photographers can make perfect photographers - but I am not a perfect photograper. I think I even won't call myself a photographer, but a photostyler...

Jacqueline
andytvcams 17 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2008 10:02PM

Quote:Andy, I normally merge different bracketed shots by using layer masks, but sometimes it is too difficult to get good results. HDR is close to what people view, so I am experimenting with it to see if it works for me and if I like the results

Good enough for me.
20 Nov 2008 10:08PM
Just trying this out - but find it hard to adjust the colour of one of the bracketed shots with the HDR converted shot.
Already tried Image > Adjustments > Match Color. But the colour of the water is not the same as the HDR shot.

Seems like a lot of work to get it done... Will try again tomorrow... Sigh..
Jacqueline
Nick_w Plus
12 4.3k 99 England
20 Nov 2008 11:42PM
HDR is good in even light with no excessive movement. In rapidly changing light you often get something akin to posterisation, again with water and moving trees - before anyone suggests the remove moving object option, I find it to be very average and introduces a lot of noise.

P.S. I'm not against HDR, far from it but you will have to work with it blending with the originals etc when its not quite to your liking.
froggma 11 19 1
22 Nov 2008 8:54PM
I know what you mean with the blotches on water, however, I find the full version of Photomatix to be invaluable to my photography now. The last image I uploaded into the gallery "Lathkill Barn" is a 5 exposure HDR image. Some HDR shots are very poor and almost cartoon like. Photomatix, used carefully, will become a very useful tool for you.

Martin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.