Photos at Padley Gorge and Higger Tor in Derbyshire.

9 Sep 2010 7:27PM
After looking at some of the members photos in and around Padley Gorge and Higger Tor I'm thinking of travelling up from the south and spend three days next week trying to capture some of the same shots ie milky waterfall, open countryside early in the morning etc. After studying the map books and internet sites I'm wondering if there is any good advice from other members who have done his before. I'm thinking of where best to go, how do I reach the places ie walikng or places to park, best times and anything that would help a very inexperienced softy southerner.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

9 Sep 2010 7:31PM
You can park on the road (top of the valley) and walk down to Padley Gorge - theres a good pub not far from there too (Fox House)
discreetphoton Plus
15 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
9 Sep 2010 7:41PM
Fox House have some nice rooms too, if you're looking for somewhere to stay.
9 Sep 2010 8:22PM
Thanks for your help will look up the pub and see if I can stay there as well..... let's hope the weather holds out!!!!
MalcolmS Plus
14 1.2k 13 England
9 Sep 2010 10:50PM
The best landmark is Grindleford Station, you park on the road down to it. You can then walk up the Gorge, keeping to the right bank where the best shots can be got. The path takes you away from the water at times but always brings you back. Within fifteen minute of Padley Gorge you have Curbar Edge, park in in the car park up the hill on the road out of Curbar to Sheffield. You can walk from here along the edge with very little climbing and you get spectactaculr views. A little further north is Stanage Edge which is a climb from the car park, but worth it. See my PF if you want to see some shots of all three locations.
Incidentally, the cafe in Grindleford Station, which is the building only now and not the station, is also worth trying. There are B&Bs in most of the villages, so finding somewhere to stay shouldn't be a problem.
MiddleMan 18 15
10 Sep 2010 8:16AM
Higger Tor- (sunrise am + pm) five minute walk from car park (plus go to Stanage Edge, 2 mins drive from Higger, 5 mins walk from roadside car park, late afternoon
Padley Gorge- Park on road to station
RipleyExile 16 1.6k 17 England
10 Sep 2010 12:42PM
Padley Gorge is better when the weather isn't so good, especially after it's rained for a while. Less contrasty conditions and the water level is up.
cooperr 13 90 1
10 Sep 2010 1:13PM
If you can delay your trip, Padley Gorge looks at its best in early late October/early November, as the leaves turn.

If you're there for 3 days, I would spend the first day scouting for locations and deciding what time of day to visit these places.
Places to earmark are:

Stanage Edge
Over Owler Tor
Higger Tor
Curbar, Baslow, and Froggatt Edges
Big Moor (at the back of Curbar Edge)
Burbage rocks
Mam Tor (above Castleton)

These can all be found on OS maps....

Best of luck!
Rich
14 Sep 2010 9:42AM
Just like to say thanks to everyone who gave suggestions...........MalcolmS your photos are fantastic mine will not be anywhere near to yours. Leaving the smoke ( London ) now to visit Grindleford and the surrounding countryside for the next three days with my ND filters and polariser...........Padley Gorge hear I come !!!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.