Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Photos in a climbing wall

Beardy 16 79 United Kingdom
9 Apr 2008 4:20PM
Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of taking a selection of photos in a climbing wall, for a project that I'm working on.

The only problem being that I'm struggling to get the lighting right. I'm using a D70 with a SB800 speedlight, but the images that I get aren't what i'm after. They are still too dark.

Any advice?
Mjhearne 14 432 4 Scotland
9 Apr 2008 4:23PM
OMG, how strange! I have just finished a shoot at a wall climbing arena in Edinburgh. Uploaded my pic, I used a soft box and brolly. You opening your aperture right up?? Great minds think alike hey?
9 Apr 2008 4:33PM
Your image looks good. My project is for a book and due to the angles that I need most of the time I'm hanging in the air. Very near the top of the wall, to make use of the walls ceiling lighting, as I can't get anything else up that high.

I have the aperture as big as it can go.
malum 16 630 1 United Kingdom
9 Apr 2008 4:46PM
Beardy: Can you post an example?
9 Apr 2008 5:26PM
Have just posted an example.

Even with a diffuser on the flash it is still very hard light on the left hand side of the image.

The colour of the trousers don't help, but I have to work with what the manufacturers sent me.

A longer exposure would help I'm sure but that isn't possible due to me hanging in a harness.

Could i get the flash output to last longer? the shutter speed for this shot was 1/50 I believe, which was the fastest I could get.
ripleysalien 14 1.2k 11 United Kingdom
9 Apr 2008 5:58PM
Hi Paul, heres a thaught, when tilting the camera to portrait I would bet 95%+ of people go counter clockwise, which in your shot results in the flash being near, and therefore lighting the wall up.
It would be a tad wierd at first, but maybe going clockwise so the flash is on your right might help even it out a bit.
Not the most constructive of theories but it might be daft enough to work.

Steve

Afterthaught, my mate, DTL on here does some nice stuff with nikon remote flash heads, if you could get one of them, and attach it with a gorilla pod or simmilar you might even the exposure.
9 Apr 2008 6:00PM
Cheers Steve I will certainly try it out. I did notice it on a couple of the other shots and made adjustments on the day. Not sure why I didn't here.
malum 16 630 1 United Kingdom
9 Apr 2008 10:14PM
Can you get the flash off the camera (or indeed a second light) and have a helper with it lower down?
The light fall of from the flash from the top to the bottom of your image seems to be the problem
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
9 Apr 2008 10:18PM
I remember this post on strobist which might be of interest.

Chris

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.