Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Photos inside things

Chris_L Plus
3 4.2k United Kingdom
21 Apr 2017 11:25AM
SlowSong (Chris) commented on this photograph of mine

"This looks like something you might get wrapped around a stick of rock"

That totally brought back loads of childhood memories!

Do they still do that with rock? The images must have had to be a landscape type of shape IIRC.

What was the idea of it? A mini postcard souvenir of sorts?

I started remembering other things that had photographs "in them", maybe you can remember some too?

Am I right in thinking that loose tea, from Typhoo or PG or whatever, used to have little photographs in that people collected?

Are there any products today that feature collectible images as an extra?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SlowSong Plus
9 7.1k 30 England
21 Apr 2017 12:18PM
Well I remember the cards we'd collect with, as you say, tea (Typhoo in my case). For some reason I remember getting a photo of cricketer Colin Cowdrey. I know nothing about cricket, nor am I in the least bit interested in it, but I was very proud when very young that I knew a cricketer and kept the card for years.. I've no idea why this memory stays with me or why. Smile

altitude50 13 10.5k United Kingdom
21 Apr 2017 1:19PM
When I was a child c*garette cards were probably finishing, but I managed to collect an album of 1930's civil aircraft cards which I still have somewhere. I think that Players and Wills were the main companies involved. (But they were not photos, just very good artwork)
I managed to collect a series of cards as black & white photos of racing motorcyclists, they might have been a promotion by Castrol oil, I think. But lost.
My parents had a collection of beautiful Kensitas silk rectangles with flags of the world on, which came with c*garettes, they got lost somewher but I recently found a tatty, dirty album at a car boot sale with them in, cheap. As they have been glued they are not very nice, but this is an example....
21670_1492777162.jpg

dark_lord Plus
13 2.1k 495 England
21 Apr 2017 2:08PM
I remember collecting the cards from packets of tea as a kid in the 1970s. Yo could buy booklets much like the one above in which to stick the cards. There was a lot of interesting information on lots of different subjects as I recall.

I don't know of any product that has free images/cards these days. There may be the odd promotion here and there that has a giveaway but that's not the same is it.

World Cup football stickers seem to be popular still.
altitude50 13 10.5k United Kingdom
21 Apr 2017 8:15PM
The tea reference reminded me. In the 50's my parents bought packets of Brooke Bond 'dividend' leaf tea, the packets were made from green paper - two layers - in a rectangular block. On the front was a buff coloured perforated stamp that could be torn out withot spilling the tea! The stamps could be stuck onto a card and exchanged for something, when there was 20 or 50 or some figure, might have been cash or more tea. That was the dividend.

Apart from that I was a member of the 'Carburol' club, I think it was called, Carburol was an additive that you put into petrol to clean your engine, similar to Redex. Send off a coupon from a comic or motor magazine or newspaper and they sent a lapel badge. I wanted one for my brother so I filled the form in as P and R -surname. The single reply was for PANDR .......Oh those were the days!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.