Photoshop: Image-Adjustments-Shadow/Highlights

bazhutton 12 25 England
11 Oct 2007 1:10PM
I seem to remember reading somewhere that using Image-Adjustments-Shadow/Highlights is best avoided, I guess because it somehow degrades the image. Am I mistaken, because it seems a really useful tool in small doses.

Baz

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

chrissd 13 304 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2007 1:12PM
its excellent, carry on using it, go to actual pixel size after to make sure everything is ok
User_Removed 13 398 6 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2007 1:49PM
I use it alot but in another layer to use in selected areas only. Can produce excessive noise but some great effects if used with care.
cheers
Neal
discreetphoton Plus
15 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2007 3:25PM
I use it all the time no-one's complained so far.
miptog 14 3.6k 63 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2007 3:28PM
Needs careful use. Have found that occassionaly it produces "halos". Usually of using higher percentage value of shaow and highlight.

Mike
justin c 15 5.0k 36 England
11 Oct 2007 3:41PM
I find it works well if used carefully and not over excessivly.
You can also achieve exactly the same results using curves if you prefer that route.

Justin.
Coleslaw 14 13.4k 28 Wales
11 Oct 2007 3:46PM
it is better than sliced bread....much better in fact...Smile
blackgull 12 1 Scotland
11 Oct 2007 9:54PM
It works well Baz and well worth using
Jim
timiano 15 894 United Kingdom
11 Oct 2007 11:11PM
I'm finding Lightroom fill light and recovery excellent for a similar purpose also - with the added benefit of not editing the source.
mlewis 15 1.5k United Kingdom
12 Oct 2007 1:06PM
To reduce halos when using the Shadow/Highlight tool simply increase the radius. I use it occasionally if I need to bring out details in a dark part of an image.

Also, using curves can't replicate the shadow/highlight tool exactly. The shadow/highlight tool is the same as using contrast masks but in a single handy dialogue box.
User_Removed 12 1.5k 1
12 Oct 2007 1:19PM
I have used it to lighten images from a recent wedding i shot. I underexposed the images by 2/3 of a stop to stop the dress blowing out and thought that by using this tool to bring up the midtones it would work. I have posted some of the images in my portfolio and some people have commented that it has affected the contrast and makes the colours look odd. I think it causes a bit of digital noise in the shadow areas and i am rather disapointed with the finished product. the two most recent photos in my pf were shot at correct exposure and i just tweaked the mid slider in levels and i think it has retained more detail but i wont know for sure until i get them printed. james
bazhutton 12 25 England
12 Oct 2007 1:31PM
I tend to only use the highlight slider and tend to keep it to around 20% or less. This is for correctly exposed landscape work and it is usually enough to restore some detail in sky and/or water.

I usually use Shadow/Highlights first on a photo, then contrast, saturation then sharpen. That is my basic and regular edit. I know sharpen last, but any comments on the order of applying other PS edits?

I have the view that with all things PS small adjustments work best.

Baz.
justin c 15 5.0k 36 England
12 Oct 2007 3:13PM

Quote:To reduce halos when using the Shadow/Highlight tool simply increase the radius

Keeping the tonal width to a sensible amount is the way to avoid halos.

Quote:Also, using curves can't replicate the shadow/highlight tool exactly.

Curves gives you a far far greater degree of control and accuracy.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.