Support ePz In 2021 - Buy 'Plus' Membership For Just £15/year

Photoshop; today's update.

Dave_Canon 14 1.9k United Kingdom
21 Oct 2020 10:29PM
Most of these improvements are 15 years too late. I have not needed to change skies since I bought the 5D4 as it has a large DR. As for selections, I already have all those facilities in Topaz mask AI (again several years too late). Hopefully some of the more subtle changes will be useful.

Dave
JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
21 Oct 2020 11:19PM

Quote:Most of these improvements are 15 years too late. I have not needed to change skies since I bought the 5D4 as it has a large DR. As for selections, I already have all those facilities in Topaz mask AI (again several years too late). Hopefully some of the more subtle changes will be useful.

Dave

Do not understand the connection between changing skies and the camera's DR ?
22 Oct 2020 9:47AM

Quote:

Do not understand the connection between changing skies and the camera's DR ?

The reason for changing skies in the past, has been mainly because of bland washed out skies due to the fact you could not capture the entire tonal range from the shadow areas to the lighter sky. Of course for many years, I use to capture multiple exposures for almost all landscapes and combine the exposures thus overcoming the camera limitations. Most sunny landscape scenes can be 12 or even more stops. More recently my 5D4 provides almost 14 stops DR so no need to capture more than one exposure for routine landscapes. I believe that some may have changed skies for other reasons than dynamic range, for example to replace a sky with a sunset or stormy sky. I have rarely wished to do this and the result is rarely satisfactory.

Dave
Big Bri 19 16.6k United Kingdom
22 Oct 2020 5:54PM
OK I have installed it and tried it and it has crashed and hung.

Managed to try out the neural filters for changing facial expressions but now it just hangs. Interesting stuff.
ensign 13 224 1 United Kingdom
22 Oct 2020 7:04PM
Hi all, my copy of Adobe CC did the usual auto up date. Lightroom was fine but when I can to tranfer to Photoshop, the problems began. It would not open. Then low and behold Microsoft decided to send a Very large up date. Once this up date was finished, my policy is to check all my files. To my surprise I was able to transfer from Lightroom to Photoshop.
Not sure why it happened but great.
tpfkapm 9 271 United Kingdom
22 Oct 2020 9:14PM
152070_1603397600.jpg

sky replacement seems to work with simple pics- and is quick- but on some raw pics i get wrong ICC profile
Jestertheclown 12 8.4k 253 England
22 Oct 2020 10:17PM

Quote:sky replacement seems to work with simple pics

That looks pretty good, on here, at least.

I tried it on a few shots that I took the other day, of some of the buildings in Covent Garden with drab, grey skies.
Some worked well enough but on others the sky bled through the top of the buildings.
I think though that it's possible to modify the masks; I'll have to dig a bit deeper.
Without those modifications, it seems to do as good, or otherwise (delete as applicable) a job as Luminar, which isn't saying a lot although in Photoshop's favour, it's a good deal quicker and the sliders actually make some changes.
If the masks can be improved, then I reckon it'll be a clear winner.
I don't ordinarily go in for changing skies but when I do, I think I'll be coming back to this.
chase Plus
15 2.0k 514 England
23 Oct 2020 8:11PM
Took the plunge and installed the new version.
Copied across Nik, Topaz Studio 2 and a couple of brushes, all working fine atm.
Not really given it a good outing as yet though, tomorrow will be fun, fingers crossed Wink
YouTube may well be my friend.
24 Oct 2020 11:30AM
Just had a play with the sky replacement tool. The new version has slowed PS down a bit but lightroom is lightning fast.
24 Oct 2020 11:43AM
Oddly the colour grading wheels have disappeared and its reverted back to split toning,

And as if by magic.. then it popped back again Grin
25 Oct 2020 9:28AM
Opened it last night but got the error message again every time I tried to open an image.
Same happened when I tried to close it.
It turned out that the Graphics processor had switched itself back on. Switching it off returned normal service. Hopefully, it's not going to be a regular occurence.
I also found that it won't let me produce a solid colour layer, so I now can't use the 'divide' trick and the 'spacebar/move' tool still isn't working.
At the moment, I've still got v 21 installed where the crop overlay doesn't work properly so for the time being, I can do everything I need to by opening one or the other but it would be nice if it was just to work correctly.
25 Oct 2020 9:57AM
I think I will wait as the graphics processor speeds up LR and Topaz so I would not be happy to switch it off.

Dave
chase Plus
15 2.0k 514 England
25 Oct 2020 11:51AM
Everything working here as it should, phew.

Quote: 'spacebar/move' tool still isn't working.

Jester, have you tried looking in the keyboard shortcuts menu ?
Edit>keyboard shortcuts>tools.
Mine is set to Photoshop defaults but they can be changed.
Scroll down to the hand tool and click on it 'H' is there by default but if you press the spacebar ( 'space' text appears ) then ok it.
Remove the 'default' H.

It may or may not work but there is no harm in trying.
25 Oct 2020 7:04PM

Quote:Scroll down to the hand tool and click on it 'H' is there by default but if you press the spacebar ( 'space' text appears ) then ok it.

Thanks Janet,

I've just tried that but when I press the spacebar, a red "X" appears and I'm told that that's not a valid command.

chase Plus
15 2.0k 514 England
25 Oct 2020 7:22PM
Oh poop,that's the only thing I could think of, sorry Sad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.