Get An Extra 20% Off Regatta New Season Arrivals

Photoshop 2021 encountering problem and closing

14 Jun 2021 10:55AM

Quote:Lack of an wizz-bang graphics card will not stop PS running. It will just run with reduced features see here. For example, PS runs fine on my 10 year laptop because I don't use any of the "digital artist" features.

But whilst he cannot open it there is nothing he can do so that problem needs solving first.

Quote:In which case; assuming that your graphics card really is switched off in PS, then said graphics card has been taken out of the equation and therefore, isn't the source of your problems.

But it isn't 'switched off' in the preferences that he has set in PS. What he is seeing in Lightroom is probably Adobe switching off the GPU in order for Lightroom to work. Or maybe he had never turned it on in Lightroom - depends how he uses Lightroom he may not need it to be functional ithere.
Jestertheclown 12 8.5k 253 England
14 Jun 2021 11:28AM

Quote:But whilst he cannot open it there is nothing he can do so that problem needs solving first.

Photoshop should open with or without the graphics card being enabled or, indeed, installed at all.
The problem here is getting it to open; not how the graphics card is et up.

Quote:
But it isn't 'switched off' in the preferences that he has set in PS

Hence my use of "assuming that your graphics card really is switched off in PS".

I don't know how the graphics card setting in Lightroom affect those in PS; if they do at all and you're also just guessing.
14 Jun 2021 2:19PM
No I'm not - I don't use the graphics card in Lightroom so it is not activated but I do in PS so it is activated.
14 Jun 2021 3:01PM

Quote:What he is seeing in Lightroom is probably Adobe switching off the GPU in order for Lightroom to work. Or maybe he had never turned it on in Lightroom - depends how he uses Lightroom he may not need it to be functional ithere.

Guessing.

As I said, I don't know how its setting in Lightroom affect its performance in PS. Probably not at all, I'd guess but regardless of all of that, I've never heard of PS not opening because of graphics card settings and since it was working properly, then stopped, seemingly for no reason, and while it can't be ruled out, I rather doubt that the graphics card is to blame.

To find out once and for all, open the box and assuming that you can, unplug the graphics card. Then see if PS will open.

shagnasty 14 77
14 Jun 2021 3:57PM
And if you do complete that crazy suggestion how will you know? That advice from Jester is irresponsible and idiotic.
The graphics card also supplies all visual information to the screen.
If you are on Windows then take your computer back to an earlier restore point.
Photoshop should work from that juncture, then add back updates from both Windows and Adobe in a controlled manner.
In the light of the limited fault information given this seems to be best way to go. This will rectify all of the trial and error settings changes made in the last few days and hopefully help you to a working solution.

14 Jun 2021 4:23PM

Quote:That advice from Jester is irresponsible and idiotic.

It's nothing of the sort.

Removing the graphics card may not necessarily be an option, hence I said "assuming that you can" but if it is possible, it will rule out, or otherwise, the graphics card as the culprit.
And please don't tell me it can't be done. Prior to installing the graphics card in my machine; I did it myself, the graphics were being supported by the built in Intel system and its monitor socket.

Quote:The graphics card also supplies all visual information to the screen.

A graphics card yes, but not necessarily the plugged-into-the-motherboard graphics card. As I've said above, I can remove the graphics card here and my machine's graphics will still function.
And so will Photoshop, it just wants to take its time!
Railcam 14 926 2 Scotland
14 Jun 2021 7:08PM
I fully support Jester.

When my PC started doing strange things, as part of the diagnostis whilst on the 'phone to one of the manufacturer's engineers, he asked me to move my Monitor cable to the motherboard port and remove the graphics card. Doing so, the machine still worked but the problem still persisted - which ruled out the graphics card as the culprit. As the PC was still under warranty it was collected by the manufacturer and they discovered it was a corrupted BIOS. They installed the latest BIOS version, tested and returned the machine which has been faultless now for over a year.
14 Jun 2021 9:13PM
But that is all that the OP has to go on. When he attempts to open it crashes no error message but searches have revealed there is a problem with the GPU. That is all anyone has to go on.And i cannot understand why people feel the need to take sides in the possible help that is offered. All anyone can do is speak from their own experience and as Jester has never tried taking his GPU out to see what happens I find that extraordinary - he may know how many graphics cards he has but I would guess that the majority of folk don't know. And as far as I am aware I have only one.
ChrisJP 13 1.9k Wales
14 Jun 2021 9:44PM
Crash report says 'EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION if that helps.
14 Jun 2021 10:04PM
Quote:But that is all that the OP has to go on. When he attempts to open it crashes no error message but searches have revealed there is a problem with the GPU. That is all anyone has to go on.And i cannot understand why people feel the need to take sides in the possible help that is offered. All anyone can do is speak from their own experience and as Jester has never tried taking his GPU out to see what happens I find that extraordinary - he may know how many graphics cards he has but I would guess that the majority of folk don't know. And as far as I am aware I have only one.

I don't think anyone's taking sides and everything that I've suggested re. the graphics card has come from my own experiences.
I think you mistyped above; I do know how to take a graphics card out; I installed them in my last two machines.
As for knowing how many graphics cards you have. It's really very easy. There are several ways to find out.
14 Jun 2021 10:18PM

Quote:
Quote:Crash report says 'EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION if that helps.

It does.

A quick Google throws up some answers.

Thing is; you now have to decide which route you want to take . . .
ChrisJP 13 1.9k Wales
17 Jun 2021 3:17PM
I have now installed a previous version, 23.1 and this appears to be working, however the first thing it did was to tell me that it had encountered a problem with the graphics driver and was temporarily disabling it.
My graphics card is an AMD Radeon R7 200 series with 2GB and according to AMD software is full up to date.
So! What is Adobe Photoshop's problem with it?
ChrisJP 13 1.9k Wales
17 Jun 2021 3:56PM
Sorry that should be version 22.3.
17 Jun 2021 6:34PM

Quote:So! What is Adobe Photoshop's problem with it?

I had a problem with a recent version of Photoshop when my graphics card, a cheap but compatible one, wasn't allowed to work.
In the "Performance" panel, the card was listed as recognised but all the options were greyed out. A few people suffered the same fate and Adobe eventually sorted it out.
I realise that that's not quite what's happening to you but is it possible that Adobe has suddenly taken a dislike to your card too?
Try downloading and installing the most recent drivers that you can find for it. It may be that your driver, although it was working, has become corrupted in some way.
Alternatively, of course, it may be that your graphics card really is the culprit and that I've been wrong all along but even if that is the case, as you're seeing now, Photoshop will still open and function, after a fashion, without a card which makes me doubt it.
I don't suppose there's any way that you could borrow a compatible graphics card from somewhere? Even if you nick it from a friend's computer? Ideally, you'd want to swap the cards and see how each machine performs.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.