Photoshop

terry_cavner 14 332 United Kingdom
13 Jan 2009 10:03PM
I have just began using CS3....I need to lighten the sky....i have done this with the magic wand tool.....im sure ive seen something that i can use to select the sky between the branches
Grateful for any help

Regards,

Terry

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 17 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
13 Jan 2009 10:14PM
Just get up earlier in the morning!!!
strawman 15 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
13 Jan 2009 10:17PM
If he wants to lighten the sky, he probably needs to get up later.

Where there is a big change in contrast I have seen people select the whole area and use the curves tool to adjust just the lighter or darker parts of the image.
irishman 15 1.1k 2 Ireland
13 Jan 2009 10:17PM

Quote:Just get up earlier in the morning!!!

Can't see how that will make any sort of difference.

Now where is that button ' Mark as Unhelpful'

Smile
User_Removed 17 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
13 Jan 2009 10:29PM
Cheer up lads. I was kidding....Duh!
Where's the button marked 'Get a life'
G73photography 13 417 15 United Kingdom
13 Jan 2009 10:43PM
sleect "colour range" and click on the sky, should select all your blue bits... ooer,
strawman 15 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
13 Jan 2009 10:45PM
I was just wishing I could think of a witty reply Smile
13 Jan 2009 10:48PM

Quote:I have just began using CS3....I need to lighten the sky....i have done this with the magic wand tool.....im sure ive seen something that i can use to select the sky between the branches
Grateful for any help

Regards,

Terry

When you use the magic wand tool try using diffrent setting with the pixel amount at the top of the screen. That might work as I think it may pick up shades of the same colour.
Failing that use Ctrl or Shift and you may be able to drag the selection around filling the small gaps.

I'm at work and don't have photoshop here so I'm thinking it may be something like that.

If it works then good, If not feel free to rip me to bits and send me into the corner. lol.

Richie.
terry_cavner 14 332 United Kingdom
13 Jan 2009 11:08PM
Thanx a lot for your help...i will try it out

Rgds,

Terry
stevenb Plus
16 268 7 England
13 Jan 2009 11:18PM
You could try the background eraser tool which can befound under the eraser tool, play on with the tolerance control.
Although this is one method and if you've loads of little branchs its not easy to do well.

Bill
RogBrown 12 3.1k 10 England
13 Jan 2009 11:18PM
Right, here's how I do it. Using the Magic Wand tool with a tolerance of about 20, click on the sky. Then hold down Shift & click on the bits that are left. For the awkward little bits round the trees etc, click on Select>Similar & this should pick out the lot. If it selects bits you don't want, use the lasso tool whilst holding down Alt & draw round the unwanted bits. They'll disappear. Hope this is clear.
Steve-T 12 56 66 England
13 Jan 2009 11:31PM
Try duplicating the channel with the greatest contrast between the sky and the branches (probably the blue channel). Apply levels to the channels to accentuate the contrast (i.e. play with the sliders to make the branches darkers and the sky lighter). Roll over the branches with a black brush in overlay mode and over the sky with a white brush in overlay mode until the tree branches are black and all the sky is white. When your happy you have the tree outlined make a selection by pointing and clicking the mouse over the channel whilst holding down the ctrl key. Return to the layers pallet and select an appropriate adjustment layer (e.g. curves) and the selection you made should be outlined as a mask.

Unfortunately, I don't think there are any quick and accurate ways to make fine selections but if the image is worth it then the above approach can work effectively.

Now where did I put my anorak!

Good luck
Steve
kaybee 15 6.8k 26 Scotland
14 Jan 2009 9:22AM
After selecting the main bit of sky - go to select and then similar - that will select everything with the same colour
Mjhearne 12 432 4 Scotland
14 Jan 2009 12:54PM
What about dodging the sky with a soft brush set to low opacity on new layer??
Photogene 13 176 Wales
14 Jan 2009 5:37PM
Are the branches silhouettes/black against the sky? If they are...you should be able to paint over them using a 50% grey dodge and burn layer, to lighten the sky without affecting the branches., because a 50% grey layer will ignore anything thats totally black when you paint over it with a white brush. To create this D&B layer, hold down the alt key and click on the add new layer icon in the layers palette, then when the dialog box pops up, change the mode to overlay, and put a tick in the box at the bottom that reads, fill with overlay-neutral-colour-50% grey and click ok. Then just paint with white on that layer, with a low opacity soft-edged brush set to around 20%.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.