Photoshop

smartybones 10 40
10 Oct 2010 10:03PM
Dont waste your money on Adobe Photoshop CS5. It is a class bit of software, is very flexable and powerfull, but.....

for a photographer it is a little bit of overkill.. If you have done your your homework and have set up everything correct pre-shutter then you will have very little work to do in Photoshop. a bit of crop, re-sizing bits of colour correction, clone out unwanted items you couldent move pre-shutter. Yes, CS5 can do all that, but so can elements 9. Its spot healing brush has the content aware settings that it has in CS5 and the built in share to flickr (and other galleries) tool is a much welcomed bonus.

If your looking for somthing more than just photo re-touching then maybe CS5 is for you....

I have CS5 for work... but i still use elements most of the time for my photographs,

would you go to asda in your 1974 rolls royce silver shadow you have in the garage, or just get in toyota out front?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown 11 8.0k 252 England
10 Oct 2010 10:11PM

Quote:
would you go to asda in your 1974 rolls royce silver shadow you have in the garage, or just get in toyota out front?

I'd take the Roller. If I could afford one, everyone woukld know about it!
geniehawk 13 181 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2011 12:55PM
Can anyone recommend a safe place to purchase CS5? I have looked on the web and am more cunfused than when I started!
John_Frid 13 514 57 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2011 1:11PM
This is as good a starting point as any

This takes you to US site, but there is also a UK site.
Overread 11 4.1k 19 England
9 Mar 2011 1:11PM
Buy it direct from Adobe (if you have elements check your emails as they are doing a 50% off deal for CS5 for element users till the 14th of this month).
geniehawk 13 181 United Kingdom
9 Mar 2011 1:59PM
Thankyou both, I will go direct as suggested.
ash59uk 8 15
12 Mar 2011 8:59PM
I am surprised no one has suggested Gimp, it is very good maybe not quite photoshop but very close and the best part,it is free.
Jestertheclown 11 8.0k 252 England
12 Mar 2011 9:36PM

Quote:I am surprised no one has suggested Gimp, it is very good maybe not quite photoshop but very close and the best part,it is free

GIMP's OK as a freebie if you can get on with its peculiar interface which personally I never could. Also, when I have used it (pre-Photoshop days), I found it kept crashing. Not much use when you're halfway through something.

Having said that, a lot of people seem to like it and will tell you I'm wrong for not doing so.

Either way, it's nowhere near, never mind in, the same league as CS5.
ash59uk 8 15
12 Mar 2011 10:59PM

Quote:I am surprised no one has suggested Gimp, it is very good maybe not quite photoshop but very close and the best part,it is free
GIMP's OK as a freebie if you can get on with its peculiar interface which personally I never could. Also, when I have used it (pre-Photoshop days), I found it kept crashing. Not much use when you're halfway through something.

Having said that, a lot of people seem to like it and will tell you I'm wrong for not doing so.

I am new to Gimp and apart from it being totally different it is quite powerful and I have had no stability problems yet. I do think that for anyone just doing the minor tweaks to their pics it is ideal and the resynthesizer and heal tool add on are excellent

Photoshop is great but expensive for people on a budget even Elements is about 50.
I guess its a case of horses for courses, I have used an old version of photoshop (5.0) but found it impossible to find brushes and such that would work on such an old version.
mlewis 15 1.5k United Kingdom
12 Mar 2011 11:27PM

Quote:Can anyone recommend a safe place to purchase CS5? I have looked on the web and am more cunfused than when I started!

Amazon (I bought Photoshop there).
ash59uk 8 15
14 Mar 2011 9:21AM

I am new to Gimp and apart from it being totally different it is quite powerful and I have had no stability problems yet. I do think that for anyone just doing the minor tweaks to their pics it is ideal and the resynthesizer and heal tool add on are excellent

Photoshop is great but expensive for people on a budget even Elements is about 50.
I guess its a case of horses for courses, I have used an old version of photoshop (5.0) but found it impossible to find brushes and such that would work on such an old version.

I managed to get CS4 very cheaply and though much different menu wise to my old photoshop 5.0 the basics are quite familiar. I still use Gimp but only for its resynthesizer tool (content aware in CS5) I have always liked the variations tool in PS and Gimp doesn`t have it.

I would still recommend Gimp though for those with a tight budget, like myself (who don`t know a guy with a patch and a parrot, say no more Wink ).
User_Removed 10 1.4k England
14 Mar 2011 9:56AM
I would suggest pixlr / GIMP combo for a free choice.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.