30-Day FREE Amazon Prime Trial - Get Ready For Prime Day 2021

Photoshop Actions

KathyW 17 1.8k 12 Norfolk Island
24 Oct 2010 5:49PM
5,082 PS actions available to download from Adobe... Tongue

What a marvellous opportunity to relieve yourself of any last vestiges of creativity or individuality you may have been harbouring...

Doesn't matter what you come up with seems you can bet your life some b*st*rd has got there before you and created an action for it.

Discuss...
KatieR 17 6.2k 6
24 Oct 2010 5:57PM
There'll be that one time that you're grateful though, don't you think... like when you have to reach for Delia... someone bought you the book for Christmas and you know you shouldn't, but it's going to save you practising on the family...

Wink
lawbert 14 1.8k 15 England
24 Oct 2010 6:05PM
Its pretty sad reallySad

We all love digital because its instant and we can review the results instantly and then adjust settings accordingly with the knowledge that when we get home photoshop has a few hidden corners to enhance the image to make it original.

I guess its progress that everyone now Knows how to do everything in photoshop but it does really suck.

This will leave originality down to expensive equipment and lots of it.....

Is digital and post processing burning itself out already?
24 Oct 2010 6:08PM

Quote:There'll be that one time that you're grateful though, don't you think... like when you have to reach for Delia... someone bought you the book for Christmas and you know you shouldn't, but it's going to save you practising on the family...

Probably, but I forsee a problem in that by the time you have scrolled through 5000 actions you will have lost the will to live and forgotten what it was you wanted to do anyway...

Or even worse, got distracted by Delia's recipe for chocolate fudge cake Wink
24 Oct 2010 6:11PM

Quote:Is digital and post processing burning itself out already?

Hmmm... one does occasionally get the urge to see if those rolls of film that you kept in the fridge are still any good...
KatieR 17 6.2k 6
24 Oct 2010 6:12PM
Ah well, distractions are another problem. That can happen at any time.

Let's think of ready-made actions like recipes... well, this is how I think of them... they're useful to a point, but there's always something not quite to my taste, so I have to change it. In some respects it acts like a stimulus to your own creativity... a starting point for something so much better...

discuss Wink
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
24 Oct 2010 6:21PM

Quote:Hmmm... one does occasionally get the urge to see if those rolls of film that you kept in the fridge are still any good...

Pulled one Friday night Katie... loaded it yesterday morning for a shoot with the Airsoft Team - and can't wait for the results (The anticipation is almost overwhelming!! Forgotten what it's like!!!)
24 Oct 2010 6:22PM
Should this be a Cookery thread?!!WinkWink
KatieR 17 6.2k 6
24 Oct 2010 6:25PM
Mike - I have a roll from three years ago with 4 shots on it... can't quite get round to finishing it Sad

And don't get me started on that Oliver bloke... grrr.

Sorry, I digress. Kathy's trying to have an intellectual Sunday evening discussion...
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
24 Oct 2010 6:40PM
It gets worse, Just on Adobes site alone there are over a 1000 brushes......!!!

Vincent Van Gogh would have cut of more than an ear me thinks......Sad

I'm not knocking different process types such as HDR etc, But we seem to be regularly treated to the latest craze in filters or effects from time to time....!

Many will be familiar with the great " Fractilus " craze a while back, Sure it was amusing in some cases, But often the question " Why " sprang to mind, Was the original image so bad, That the only course of action was to make it look worse....?

I know thats nothing to do with the 5,082 Photoshop actions, But its in the same area.

The trouble with truck loads of Pre-Sets, Effects filters, Actions for this, Actions for that, Is this, It was created by someone else, For a particular effect or end result, In most cases it only works ( If it works at all ) with the original concept/image it was created for, Generally you have to modify or change it to fit your specific purpose.....!!!

So why bother, Why not create your own " Unique " way of doing something, If you don't know how, Then its time to learn how.....Grin

The downside of " Convenience Photoshoping " Is going to be loss of originality, Loss of imagination, Clone products, A very boring future indeed......Sad

I'm not anti- actions, For repetitive tasks like adding a border/frame these are an obvious bonus, But do you honestly need an action or filter effect to produce " The Holga " look..?

Photographers spend huge amounts of money on cameras & lens kit, Why if your gonna turn your images into " Holga " replicas.....? ? ?

Surely it would be cheaper to buy a Holga in the first place, I hear they are available in various colours these days.

Wink
24 Oct 2010 6:42PM

Quote:Mike - I have a roll from three years ago with 4 shots on it... can't quite get round to finishing it Sad

And don't get me started on that Oliver bloke... grrr.

Sorry, I digress. Kathy's trying to have an intellectual Sunday evening discussion...

Well... I was till I got to thinking about chocolate cake and wondering if I have the ingredients in stock...
KatieR 17 6.2k 6
24 Oct 2010 7:14PM
Oh b*gger... what have I done Sad

Back to the original subject... to me, what Camercat has described is indeed the "recipe" effect... it's very much an individual thing as to how you use these things.

Sometimes very talented people follow a recipe exactly and it goes wrong... flat, boring... perhaps because the ingredients are just not up to scratch...

Sometimes the product is even more wonderful than the author expected and it becomes a masterpiece, but then whose masterpiece?!?

Then you have the "average" person who knows a bit but really depends on the recipe to get them off to a start... but of course the same scenarios apply... it either works for you or it doesn't.

If you're naturally an experimenter - either because you love to or perhaps because you think nobody else could possibly be as talented as you (!) - then you may come up with exactly the same recipes as the "experts" on your own! And in this case, the pleasure is in that you did it yourself.

Each to their own, I guess, but I think it's a good job that somebody puts in the hard work for those of us that are either lazy or need a kick start Smile
24 Oct 2010 7:30PM
Theres Nowt wrong with Jamie OliverWink

I guess originality is now forever gone...Sad

That includes...Lazy...effort...numpty....whatever level your at theres an action for itSad

Cookery seems like a good idea now compared to photography....Now where did I put that Aga catalogueSad
Kris_Dutson 18 8.2k 1 England
24 Oct 2010 7:47PM
I refuse to even go and look at them that way I stay creative.

Just like I refused to learn more than basic photography by the book in the first place....and guitar for that matter.

Learn the basics and then fly. Smile
24 Oct 2010 7:57PM
Good point Katie, but I can't help feeling that the trend for simply applying an action that somebody else has created tends to end up with a lot of pictures looking almost identical... There are still a few images in the galleries that stand out as being original and innovative, but they seem to be getting fewer...
It's like someone tries something new, it goes down well, everyone else just trawls the net for an action to make their pics look the same.

I use actions sometimes - particulary for resizing and saving batches of pics, but I can honestly say I've never felt the urge to use an action created by somebody else.

It'd be like using ready-made cake covering on my chocolate fudge cake Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.