Save 35% On A SmugMug Account Today!

Photoshop Actions

KathyW 17 1.8k 12 Norfolk Island
24 Oct 2010 8:04PM

Quote:I refuse to even go and look at them that way I stay creative.

Just like I refused to learn more than basic photography by the book in the first place....and guitar for that matter.

Learn the basics and then fly. Smile

I'm flapping as hard as I can Wink
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
24 Oct 2010 8:05PM

Quote:Learn the basics and then fly.

Welcome to the club Kris.Wink
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
24 Oct 2010 8:28PM

Quote:but I can honestly say I've never felt the urge to use an action created by somebody else.

I agree - but with one exception Kathy (and one only)...

'Digital Velvia' (Colour Boost - Normal) which, for the life of me, I cannot remember who authored it. (That said, I have an inkling that it may be our own Chris Shepherd..??)
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
24 Oct 2010 8:50PM

Quote:'Digital Velvia'

Mike, How could you.....Grin

Velvia and digital in the same sentence......LOL.....Smile

I thought a Velvia look was all about turning all the colour controls to " Lurid " , Then a tad more on the green or was that Magenta....Wink

Whatever it has to be an improvement on Digital Holga ......Sad
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
24 Oct 2010 9:01PM

Quote:Velvia and digital in the same sentence......LOL....

Yup.

Dat me!!

(Actually - it's really good when applied in a layer and blended... [Trust me!])

3-emoticon5.jpg
Eviscera 14 1.1k 149 United Kingdom
24 Oct 2010 9:09PM
Actions have their place but not as a "style copy" imo. They are mostly global effects.

And they can be a great learning tool. Take the Draganizer example. It creates several layers , with differing blend modes and vignetting suggestions for user controlled opacities.

For anyone struggling with layers etc , its a quick way to learn creative process.

The art is in customising ideas to develop your own style. You cant polish a turd composition or poor idea Wink
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
24 Oct 2010 9:13PM

Quote:(That said, I have an inkling that it may be our own Chris Shepherd..??)

No - I only hosted them on my site then uploaded them to Epz. Terence irons actually did the clever stuff.
arhb 13 3.4k 68 United Kingdom
24 Oct 2010 10:51PM
I agree with Dave - the draganizer action turned what would have been a slow process for me, into something quick, that I now only use partially as I've disgarded what is of no use to me in what I want to achieve.
It also has written into it, dialog and stop/starts where necessary, that I don't know how to integrate into my own actions.

I would happily explore more actions like the draganizer, if I wasn't concerned about them crashing my laptop - I mean editing suite.

(note to self: google digital Holga...) Wink
Nick_w 14 4.3k 99 England
25 Oct 2010 7:27AM
Actions like anything else in the digital world can either be a great time saver with controlled workflow, or if abused like I've seen with the Draganizer action many times can look hidious, those that disagree should look at the work of Dragen himself and then show me the halos. ( not aimed at anyone on here, but just google Draganizer you will see what I mean).

I do have actions, Borders, sharpening, black and White, landscape, vignettes, dodge and burn etc. But most of these I've created myself to harmonise my workflow, but I know what each stage does and I can and do alter accordingly for each image. I have two third party ones, one I've been using a while, again that I fully understand and have modified to my tastes the other I'm trialling.

If actions are used slavishly you will get poor 3rd rate clones of a particular "style", if used as part of the creative workflow they are a great time saving process that doesn't impinge on the creative element.
Nick_w 14 4.3k 99 England
25 Oct 2010 7:44AM

Quote:It also has written into it, dialog and stop/starts where necessary, that I don't know how to integrate into my own actions.

it's quite simple, I'm not at the pc so can't remember exact location/ dialoge but something like if you open up the action click on stage where you want start/ stop function right click then select insert stop, then follow instructions.

If no one else confirms / corrects this before I get to pc I will check later.

When changing an action I always make a copy.

Can you incorporate smart objects into CS4/CS5? - I'm on CS2 and would like a reason/ excuse to upgrade Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.