Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Photoshop and Lightroom for ?8.78 (per month)

Gundog 8 629 Scotland
5 Sep 2013 10:38AM
I see that Adobe are now offering existing users the chance to get both Photoshop and Lightroom on CC at a much reduced price of 8.78 per month.

It might be interesting to see how many photographers, who swore they would never convert to CC, are tempted to change their minds by this price reduction.

5 Sep 2013 10:44AM
Yes, but is it a ploy to get a number of new customers, then increase the price after so many people have to to rely on cc ?
Coleslaw 16 13.4k 28 Wales
5 Sep 2013 10:44AM
I couldn't find that on Adobe website.
Linky please? Smile
Ade_Osman 18 4.5k 36 England
5 Sep 2013 11:04AM
I'll stick with my ever dependable Paintshop Pro thank you very much Smile
5 Sep 2013 11:38AM
Hi guys,

We've just put some news up about this and we found more info about the offer on Adobe's Blog: Creative Layer.
Nick_w Plus
14 4.3k 99 England
5 Sep 2013 12:36PM
mm looks like they are concerned about the lack of uptake from photographers. At that price its attractive, i was thinking of upgrading lightroom, for this price I might as well go cc - wont be this month tho!

If you go CC and decide not to continue will the older versions of Photoshop still work?
cats_123 Plus
17 5.1k 30 Northern Ireland
5 Sep 2013 12:38PM
105 every year...I don't think so
Nick_w Plus
14 4.3k 99 England
5 Sep 2013 12:48PM

Quote:105 every year...I don't think so

But the full photoshop was ca 500, so thats 5 years worth - about the timescale since CS3.

The bit that might convince me (I will look into after work) is the free website - I then save money as I pay more to photium each month. Just depends whats lumped into the free site.
Coleslaw 16 13.4k 28 Wales
5 Sep 2013 12:49PM
That's assuming price stays the same every year? Wink
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
5 Sep 2013 12:55PM
When most copies of photoshop being used by photographers...and I include anybody who uses it to 'play' with pictures...are probably dodgy copies, why would the bulk of them pay a monthly fee?

I've asked a good many people with full Photoshop ' Be honest, is it a Kosher version' and all I get is a smile or the honest answer no from the majority of them. The 9 offer isn't even open to them so why would they buy into it at...what is it....18?

All Adobe had to do was sell software at an affordable price. It was expensive when very few used it and even fewer had even heard of it....these days it's a part of the English language.
Nick_w Plus
14 4.3k 99 England
5 Sep 2013 12:56PM

Quote:That's assuming price stays the same every year? Wink

Yep, which it wont. But the PS price increased over the years.

But I think they are worried about the lack of uptake, hostility to CC, competition - I can see Google getting very active, they have the Nik software bundle and immediatly slashed the price - now if Google aquired Corel or Paintshop pro, with their resources they would cause a real worry for Adobe.
Nick_w Plus
14 4.3k 99 England
5 Sep 2013 12:59PM

Quote:I've asked a good many people with full Photoshop ' Be honest, is it a Kosher version' and all I get is a smile or the honest answer no from the majority of them. The 9 offer isn't even open to them so why would they buy into it at...what is it....18?

And thats the heart of the issue Keith.

And yes hand on heart mine is Kosher, so 9 looks quite good value.
stuwhitt 16 1.4k United Kingdom
5 Sep 2013 3:17PM

Quote:That's assuming price stays the same

Copied from the blog post linked to earlier

Quote:To be clear, $9.99 is not an introductory price. It is the price for those of you who sign up by December 31, 2013. This offer will be available at the same time we introduce the new version of Lightroom 5.2 in a couple weeks. Visit the FAQ to learn more and follow Photoshop on Facebook, Twitter and Google+ to find out when the offer goes live.

To me if you qualify its a no brainer Smile
cats_123 Plus
17 5.1k 30 Northern Ireland
5 Sep 2013 4:09PM

Quote:To be clear, $9.99 is not an introductory price. It is the price for those of you who sign up by December 31, 2013
Then it is...because if you subscribe after that date it is bound to be dearer

Quote:105 every year...I don't think so

But the full photoshop was ca 500, so thats 5 years worth - about the timescale since CS3.

The bit that might convince me (I will look into after work) is the free website - I then save money as I pay more to photium each month. Just depends whats lumped into the free site.

Ok if you want the whole caboodle, but how many want both PS AND LR..agree a website + storage might be useful...bit like the paid-for bank accounts...some of the add-ons you need, some of you don't...horses for courses
5 Sep 2013 5:43PM
From what I've read, Adobe are apparently releasing their quarterly results soon. It will be interesting to see how subscriptions to CC are going and how its affected their balance sheet.

There is still a huge amount of hostility against the subscription model. I personally think its a terrible idea. The reaction to this offer on their Phtoshop FB page has been quite negative.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.