Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Photoshop and Lightroom for ?8.78 (per month)

Jestertheclown 12 8.5k 253 England
5 Sep 2013 5:53PM

Quote:If you go CC and decide not to continue will the older versions of Photoshop still work?

Yes.

In fact, you can run them alongside each other.
IanYorke 8 30 United Kingdom
8 Sep 2013 5:50PM
If it is a limited time offer then the rental cost will be increased. Looking at what Adobe has done in the recent past, they will find a way or change the terms (which they are allowed to do) once you are hooked to raise costs.

Adobe have set out their stall on subscriptions as being the way forward for them. Obviously the backlash has effected them and this is a sop to sucker people in. With Photoshop they have effectively a monopoly and can do as they wish, but ask yourself this question "why isn't Lightroom in CC?" Simple they have competition Capture One, Aperture etc. If people fall for this initial low subscription you will simply be helping Adobe eliminate their competition in Raw converters - short term gain for long term pain.

Microsoft offer subscription software but give you the choice, how many people are subscribed to Office?
randomrubble 16 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
9 Sep 2013 9:38AM
What I find slightly weird about Adobe's current pricing and approach to the subscriptions is that student versions of creative suite don't qualify for the discounted rates on CC. Yet what adobe need is as many punters signed up as quickly as they possible. Surely if there is anyone who needed a leg up to the latest version it's kids who are a couple of years out of college and are used to cheap-ish subscriptions for stuff like Spotify/Last FM?
redhed17 15 881 England
9 Sep 2013 10:28PM
On the American site they said

Quote:"To be clear, $9.99 is not an introductory price. It is the price for those of you who sign up by December 31, 2013."

So a time limited price, aimed at those who already own a previous version Photoshop (but not Lightroom, and not Photoshop before CS3), but not an introductory price. And with no mention I can see of what the price will be after 31/12/13.

And also no mention of a price for those who don't already own Photoshop.

Adobe's PR machine up to its usual standards. Wink lol

They have either not attracted as many photographers as they expected to their cloud subscription model, and/or they are trying to dig themselves out of a huge PR blackhole with the whole CC implementation. Or they could genuinely want to give the Photographer a good deal, and forgot they wanted to do this when the released the Creative Cloud. Wink

And for those who take up their offer, and pay for a year, because that is what the minimum contract is (I think) and then lapse for a few months, and so not be able to use Photoshop CC (will you still be able to use Lightroom?) and then start paying again, will you still get the discount deal, or will you have to pay the post 31/12/13 price? Like I assume none pre owning Photoshop users will. What that price is, nobody knows yet. :-/

I wouldn't trust Adobe to keep to anything they say. They said CS6 would still be available, but made it very hard to get on their site, and the people selling it started to run out pretty quickly. I know because I know a couple of people wanting to buy CS6 rather than to get stuck into a subscription model.

They don't seem to get that when people buy software, they want to use it whenever they want, they don't want it to stop if they don't/can't pay.

I can see people signing up at this price, because that was what some people were saying they would pay when the CC came out, but a lot of people want to own the software. And those that used the pirated software can still use a pirated version of Photoshop CC from what I can see, because the CC was not in anyway aimed at stopping piracy, it was to get a regular income flow. Photoshop is only 'Cloud' in name, and authenticates itself the same way as it did before, just more often. And if the pirates beat it then, they will probably always be able to beat it unless Adobe does things completely different as far as authentication is concerned. God help users if they really go cloud, as then you will not only have to keep paying, but also have an internet connection on constantly. Wink

That idea of needing a constant internet didn't go down well with users of the new Xbox. And so the need for a constant connection was dropped. And that's a games console, not something people run business' with. lol
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
9 Sep 2013 10:42PM
All I need is LR, and I've decided against Nik, which I've used, for OnOne Perfect Photo Suite, they go well together. I have no intentions of renting an editing program.
thatmanbrian 9 342 3 Spain
14 Sep 2013 10:33PM
I've been using Lightroom and Photoshop for years and have invested a lot of time and effort in them. With the news of the move to CC rental versions, I was one of those who decided to stick with my current versions and to heck with it. Even the apparent price reduction won't tempt me as I just know the price will rapidly creep up.

Among my plugins for CS6 are some from a firm called Onone. I use them a lot for quick and reliable fixes rather than go through the LR/Adobe route. Now Onone have pulled all the plugins together into a complete full featured photo editor called PerfectPhoto Suite 8 due out by the end of the year. The editor seems to include everything I ever use the Lightroom/Photoshop combination for (except for LR's cataloguing). I am therefore sorely tempted to give it a try when it comes out.

For a long time Photoshop was essential if one wanted certain features, but now other products such as Onone can offer most of what CS6 has to offer. Things like select and move objects, content aware fill, healing brushes, layers, automatic image corrections, curves, layer adjustments and so on. There seems little scope for further real and practical improvement to Photoshop given the current state of digital photography. Then there are all those functions in Photoshop photographers rarely or never use. Graphic design stuff and so on.

Adobe can see the writing on the wall I think.
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
14 Sep 2013 11:18PM
I ordered onOne Perfect Photo Suite 8 yesterday, delivery 26 November. They gave me version 7.5 in the meantime. I've been using the tryout version for 3 weeks, and it works seamlessly with LR 4. It's far more than I need, and certainly more user friendly than CS6. Btw, it will also work with Elements 9, 10, and 11. As you said, it is also a stand alone program, which I will probably use it as eventually.
akh Plus
17 1.2k 5 United Kingdom
15 Sep 2013 11:06AM
On this episode of THE GRID , Scott Kelby provides an explanation of why this is, in his opinion, a good deal and why Adobe had to adopt the subscription model of selling their upgrades.
Tony
Nick_w Plus
14 4.3k 99 England
15 Sep 2013 10:20PM
To be fair Scott Kelby's income is very reliant on people continuing the upgrade path. Virtually all his books are devouted to Lightroom and Photoshop - not to mention the online training, if he advised clients to move away, or not to upgrade, it would be commercial suicide.
16 Sep 2013 7:48AM
Well as mentioned above I use a lot of OnOne's plugins as bundled in PerfectPhoto Suite 7.5. This is really just a collection of separate plugins or stand-alone filters, but version 8 as I said incorporates the whole lot with an actual photo editor which seems similar to Elements. I've now ordered it and will get it at the end of November. Scott Kelby makes an interesting suggestion as to why Adobe went for subscription. It makes sense except for the part about the US tax laws practically demanding it. If that is so, does it also affect Microsoft and other software vendors?
Nick_w Plus
14 4.3k 99 England
16 Sep 2013 8:16AM
If it was tax laws they would just move their tax affairs to Luxemburg, Bermuda etc just like Google, Starbucks etc
lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
16 Sep 2013 8:51AM

Quote:It makes sense except for the part about the US tax laws practically demanding it. If that is so, does it also affect Microsoft and other software vendors?

Well MS are trying to move people to a subscription model (office 365, Windows Azure) but are still happy to sell boxed product like they used too so the tax implications can't be that bad.
redhed17 15 881 England
16 Sep 2013 4:49PM

Quote:To be fair Scott Kelby's income is very reliant on people continuing the upgrade path. Virtually all his books are devoted to Lightroom and Photoshop - not to mention the online training, if he advised clients to move away, or not to upgrade, it would be commercial suicide.

Totally agree. The people like Kelby who have courses dedicated to Adobe products, it is in the interest to encourage as many people as possible to continue to upgrade so they can offer new products to take advantage of the new features.

Also keep in mind that I don't think it is any financial hardship for Kelby to subscribe to the whole Creative Cloud. Wink
16 Sep 2013 5:59PM
Kelby does admit in his blog that by having everyone on the same page with the latest version of everything, his tutorials will be made easier as he'll no longer have to explain it for CS6 then for CS5 then for earlier versions. Adobe have stuck their neck on the line by seemingly insisting on subscriptions no matter what, if Kelby is right. The test will be if others follow suit.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.