Turn Your Old Camera Into Cash With An Instant Quote From MPB

Photoshop CC

9 Apr 2018 12:25PM
Has anyone else come across this when updating Photoshop CC on a Windows 10 platform?

Update gets partway through and the fails after which Photoshop will not open owing to the fact that some dll files have been deleted/changed in the update. It suggests reinstalling which also fails because the folder ......................
c:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop CC 2018\Required\CEP\Extensions
.................. is still there. It is then necessary to logon as Administrator, delete the folder (or rename it) and then reinstall. It is then necessary to reinstall any plugins you might have had - in my case NIK software.
All of this is manageable, but takes time and I feel it should not be happening.

Is anyone able to shed any light on this?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pink Plus
16 6.5k 8 United Kingdom
9 Apr 2018 12:58PM
My latest upgrade installed with no issues. In the past I have always had issues with plug-ins, but not this time everything went as it should.
For the money we pay out every month it should go without problems really!
Techno Plus
11 5.2k 8 England
9 Apr 2018 4:09PM
Updated mine yesterday, directly from updates within Lightroom/Photoshop remembering to close down both before the update will commence, no plugin problems from a Windows 10 platform.
When you eventually succeed take a look at the 40+ profiles in this Photoshop/Lightroom CC update......
9 Apr 2018 5:14PM
Thank you Ian and Mal - I'd solved the problem as it had happened before - it just irks me that it does happen.
Mal - yes, I've had a quick poke around the profiles in Lightroom, not Photoshop as yet - more to play with later GrinGrinGrinGrin
Big Bri 19 16.6k United Kingdom
11 Apr 2018 12:42PM

Quote: It is then necessary to logon as Administrator, delete the folder (or rename it) and then reinstall

Does your "normal" user not have admin rights on the PC? This might be what's causing a problem..
11 Apr 2018 1:01PM

Quote:Does your "normal" user not have admin rights on the PC? This might be what's causing a problem..

You would think so, but in Microsoft world it seems that not all Administrators are equal - an account with administrative rights can create accounts and set permissions, but cannot delve into certain system and application folders. Even switching to the Administrator account doesn't do the trick because it doesn't reflag the rights and permissions on folders and files - something left over from NT days - only by re-starting is that done.

I will find out the problem one day - if things run true to course it will something that would normally appear to be unrelated - but of course is GrinGrinGrin Something that should be switched off isn't; or, something that should be closed, isn't; both of these are complicated by the fact that the OS takes time to recognise certain changes. In NT it used to be up to 56 minutes in some cases (something to do with powers of 2).

Many thanks for your suggestion, Nev
12 Apr 2018 9:23AM
I don't know if this would help in any way but with Windows 10 there are a number of permissions which Windows takes upon itself and seems to cause no end of problems with the 'normal' running of a computer. I have had problems with the printer as Windows had decided it was its responsibility to do my printing, rather than PS or Lightroom. I suggest going through the Settings very carefuly and switch any buttons, or defaults that Windows had taken on the responibilty for.
stuwhitt 15 1.4k United Kingdom
13 Apr 2018 9:42PM
Not come across this one, worth droppong Adobe support a line, Iíve alway found them to be very helpful
14 Apr 2018 11:20AM

Quote:Not come across this one, worth droppong Adobe support a line, Iíve alway found them to be very helpful

It isn't actually an Adobe problem Stu - deep in the 'Settings' menus of the new 'Creator' Windows 10 is an on/off switch which gives Windows (supreme) right to control the printer. Switching it to 'Off' is all that is needed - but very confusing the first couple of times it happens!
14 Apr 2018 10:31PM

Quote:I have had problems with the printer as Windows had decided it was its responsibility to do my printing, rather than PS or Lightroom. I suggest going through the Settings very carefuly and switch any buttons, or defaults that Windows had taken on the responibilty for.

What does this even mean?
15 Apr 2018 12:21PM
That when I tried to print using my normal Lightroom or Photoshop after downloading Windows Creator I got a message saying 'unable to communicate with printer'. This was because in Windows Creator, Windows ascribes to itself all sorts of defaults for which normally there is not a default, or has to be set by the user(Administrator). Therefore Photoshop was having difficulties.
Jestertheclown 11 8.2k 253 England
15 Apr 2018 12:56PM

Quote:This was because in Windows Creator, Windows ascribes to itself all sorts of defaults.

Where, specifically, did you find these defaults?
Presumably, you're referring to the "fall" creators' update as the "spring" one has, as far as I know, not yet been released.
I too have that update, in fact, unlike yourself, I have all the updates, yet no permissions or defaults have been changed.

15 Apr 2018 2:40PM

Quote:I too have that update, in fact, unlike yourself, I have all the updates, yet no permissions or defaults have been changed.

Same here. The only option I am aware of in Windows 10 about management of printers is that there is an option for Windows to manage which printer is your default - it checks your location and uses the most recent one that you have used at that location. If you always use the same printer, you shouldn't see any problems here.
16 Apr 2018 11:02AM
This box was ticked - I have unticked it and now it all works well.

273254_1523872986.jpg
16 Apr 2018 5:22PM
Yes, that's the thing. It just lets Windows decide which is your default printer.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.