WEX Offer: Save 50 On The Olympus OM-D E-M1X

Photoshop Tutorials can be so annoying

Pete Plus
19 18.8k 97 England
14 Mar 2016 4:50PM
This is exactly how some tutorials go...very funny! It's not just Photoshop. I've watched some really really bad "how to play instrument" videos

saltireblue Plus
10 11.1k 68 Norway
14 Mar 2016 5:10PM
Hehe! Seen a few of these whilst trawling Tube'n for useful tutorials.Smile
lemmy 13 2.9k United Kingdom
14 Mar 2016 6:00PM
There's a lot of laziness about them. People just talk off the cuff to the camera with ums and ahs. All unstructured.

With my videos, the scripting is the most taxing part. And if anyone thinks videoing is difficult, getting the sound right is ten times harder.
StrayCat 16 19.1k 3 Canada
14 Mar 2016 6:22PM
Wow Pete, so that's how it's done.Grin

Watch some of the "Angry Photographer's" videos; however, at least they're entertaining, for awhile.

BHPhoto have sponsored what I consider the best tutorials on photography and in particular, Lightroom and Photoshop; there are hundreds of them, and I've watched many. It's difficult to hold people's attention for almost 2 hours, but most of them do, with me anyway. There are a few that I just couldn't watch; one was an in-depth review of the A6000, where the reviewer kept promoting his business, and kept saying about the camera; "Now why did it do that?" Another was where the instructor started off by saying: "Now, I'll say right off, I do everything manually, I don't use any auto systems in my cameras." No thanks!Tongue

One thing I don't like, is when the person doing the review or video begins to put down others, or other products, I lose interest fast then.
StrayCat 16 19.1k 3 Canada
14 Mar 2016 6:26PM
Lemmy, it's very easy to listen to, and watch, your videos. You speak in a relaxed voice, and I haven't seen any fumbling, just a good flow and to the point.
SlowSong Plus
12 9.3k 30 England
14 Mar 2016 6:39PM
I've watched many of Lemmy's excellent videos. Just one problem - I always want to buy something afterwards.

But I do like to watch the bad ones as well, just for entertainment value. Perhaps people could link us to some more awful or fun how-to's. Smile
Fma7 5 1.1k United Kingdom
14 Mar 2016 9:08PM

Quote: I've watched some really really bad "how to play instrument" videos

So true.

"In this tutorial we're going to learn Classical Gas, now this is an A minor, first finger on the....."
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
15 Mar 2016 2:43AM
I watched about 20 seconds of that, I was sat for the hook that never came.
16 Mar 2016 11:48AM

Quote: I always want to buy something afterwards.
Ha! So it works! I insert subliminal hypnotic suggestions in the videos. Viewers go glassy eyed and and cannot rest until they have sleep walked to their nearest camera store and bought the item. I do it so that photographers, having watched the video, can honestly say to their partner that I made them do it.

Seriously, I really like The Camera Store TV. Their presenters josh lightheartedly and are very entertaining and informative. The shop is in Calgary, Canada. So many American reviewers tend to push their personal opinions down your throat and have a brashness that I find unpleasant. The biggest single problem in reviewing stuff today is that it is uniformly well made and high performing. You can honestly say that while there are cameras and lenses out there that you don't want, that don't suit your purposes, no matter what you buy, at a given price there will not be a bad choice available.

I remember old Russian Fed cameras that would actually leak light!
SlowSong Plus
12 9.3k 30 England
16 Mar 2016 12:10PM

Quote:I remember old Russian Fed cameras that would actually leak light!

I bought an old Lubitel for 25 in one of those lovely second hand shops round the back of the British Museum years ago (now all gone). A clunky, basic old thing that also leaked light, but the resultant photos were very quirky. Smile
16 Mar 2016 12:23PM

Quote:I bought an old Lubitel for 25 in one of those lovely second hand shops round the back of the British Museum years ago (now all gone).
I could browse those places for ever. The only similar place I know now is Mr Cad in Victoria. Wonderfully quirky.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.