Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

photostockplus.com

heatherb 17 23 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2005 7:54AM
just got a call from them asking me to open an account for $99. sounds a bit like vanity publishing to me. noticed a few members there, has anyone made any money from this site?
heather
klewis 17 1.9k 1 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2005 8:00AM
I have no info on this company but gut reaction is RUN ! I'd be interested in hearing who else got a call.

(edit) if they came to me and said we will pay you $xx to sponsor your work I would be interested but cautious lol)
loweskid 19 2.0k 1 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2005 8:41AM
Wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. If an agency thinks your work is good enough to sell they won't ask you for any money.

This is a good one, from their 'terms and conditions'......

"The Supplier acknowledges that no monetary or financial compensation is owed or required to be paid to the Supplier by PhotoStockPlus or any of its directors, officers, employees, partners, agents or members for the rights granted herein by the Supplier. Notwithstanding the foregoing, PhotoStockPlus currently acknowledges that its policy is to provide certain payments to the Supplier whenever a Data File uploaded by the Supplier is downloaded, and the parties agree that PhotoStockPlus may amend such policy as reasonable business objectives may from time to time require."

As I read it - if the company isn't doing well they have the option not to pay you anything at all... !!
TimJ 17 482 2 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2005 8:57AM
I agree, wouldn't touch PhotoStockPlus. A few agencies have sprung up that try to make money by charging to set up accounts. IMO seem to be aimed primarily at ripping off novice photographers who want to make a bit of money out of photography, but are unlikely to sell anything.
pj.morley 18 947 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2005 11:30AM
Me too. It's not something I'd go for if they expect me to pay them to supply images. Even microstock agencies don't expect you to pay them Wink
heatherb 17 23 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2005 11:31AM
what are microstock agencies, is there a way to get money for your photos?
UserDeleted 18 3.6k
5 Oct 2005 3:51PM
Heather,

You should consider joining FPME - it on the left hand corner of this page.

Inside information on making it as a freelance photographer easily, and contact with picture buyers who might buy your images....and all for only 35....

Mike
sillyconguru 16 4.4k
5 Oct 2005 3:53PM
Has Pete got you working for commision Mike?

Wink
UserDeleted 18 3.6k
5 Oct 2005 4:04PM
No - Pete has done his market research, found a need, clearly has contacts in the right places - and who could argue for all of this for 35.

I'm in no way incented by Pete.

Don't forget I am also a freelance photographer, and I can empathise with Pete's torrid struggle to make money with his camera. His battle resonates with me, and I for one would have been grateful for this kind of superb resource when I was a novice.

I will be pleased when all of the aspiring freelancers here have the opportunity to have access to inside information in the mag to make their lives easier, and can track down opportunities to make money with the images.

After all I wouldn't want to be accused of trying to prevent new blood from entering the business and raising the bar for us pro's....we should all remember what it was like when we started.....

Mike.
peterjones 19 5.1k 1 United Kingdom
5 Oct 2005 10:15PM
"After all I wouldn't want to be accused of trying to prevent new blood from entering the business and raising the bar for us pro's....we should all remember what it was like when we started....."

Here here Mike !! As I have said before new people may even do things differently and perish the thought clients may even like it! IMO any pro worried about new people coming into the business needs to have a hard look at his/her own business.

Rgds Peter.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.