Pilates

TeresaH 14 1.1k United Kingdom
28 May 2009 8:34PM
As I saw a topic discussing vacuum cleaners the other day, it goes to show you can discuss anything on here! I wondered if anyone practised Pilates?

Even though it was invented by a man, it still attracts more women.

I teach Pilates and am passionate about it. Let me know what you think about it.

Teresa

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rowarrior 11 4.4k 9 Scotland
28 May 2009 8:36PM
I think the only time I tried it the teacher didn't really know what she was doing, and nearly dislocated several parts of my hypermobile body, so funnily enough I haven't tried it again since lol
TeresaH 14 1.1k United Kingdom
28 May 2009 8:39PM
Oh dear, so I take it you don't practice Yoga, that would not be very good for you. However, you can work the inner range of your muscles, so find a good teacher!
elowes 15 2.8k United Kingdom
28 May 2009 8:55PM
Got bored with it and gave up after completing half of the lessons paid for.

Yoga is more interesting, cheaper and you can practice it at home.
digicammad 16 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
28 May 2009 10:14PM
I have done pilates for 4 years now, great for retaining core strength. When I was not allowed to play sport because of m heart valve it helped me keep my muscle tone going.

For some reason not many men seem to do it. In 4 years there have been maybe a dozen where I go but none of them lasted more than a couple of weeks. Maybe it just proves harder than they expect. Smile

Ian
janeez 11 1.8k 8 United Kingdom
28 May 2009 11:33PM
Tried it once. It really hurt so was not keen to go back. took a week to recover! Sad
MaryMac 13 258 1 United Kingdom
29 May 2009 6:29AM
I've got Osteoporosis in my hips and spine and have been doing Pilates for 6months for relaxation and flexibility help I don't have access to a tutor being so far away from anywhere so have learnt from a great book by Walter McKone and can feel a difference to my body especially my hips My husband says its too slow for him !
29 May 2009 8:07AM
I used to think I could do press-ups until I started pilates, in circuit training I could normally do about 30. In pilates, slow is king and slow press-ups are so much harder, I'm lucky if I can do 10 and we have to do 3 sets of the things!

Really does wonders for your posture and core strength though. It's also great for people with heart problems because it is virtually zero impact and CV.
stolzy 13 3.8k 7
29 May 2009 8:56AM
Mostly harmless (except to your wallet Smile
29 May 2009 9:28AM
What has the wallet got to do with it? Costs me 3 a week, well worth it.
JamesBurns 11 1.3k 7
29 May 2009 9:33AM
I'm not a big fan of Pilates... I'm just not keen on walking the plank though.
dwilkin 13 24.3k United Kingdom
29 May 2009 12:06PM
Pilates? Didn't he condemn Jesus to death? Wink
Fishnet 15 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
30 May 2009 10:56PM
I had to see a counsellor a year ago who told me to do yoga and pilates as I am in a near permanent state of hyperactivity and find it very hard to calm down, I bought a Yoga DVD as I couldn't afford the classes where I lived ( this was my local one, stupid prices!!!)
I managed to put the DVD on once and I got interrupted 3 times by my children and once by the phone.

Can't say I enjoyed what I did manage though, it's too slow and quiet for me, I find all the slow moving and steady breathing just gets me more hyper as my energy builds up (and to think I wondered where my sons' ADHD comes from!)

What I do now though, is when I get a build up of energy and need to release it, I go for a 12 mile bike ride or a 5 mile fast walk.

The Mr is always telling me to have another go at yoga as he thinks it would help me, but it just doesn't appeal.

I saw an osteopath for a year for bad back & neck problems (mostly due to being tense and hyper all the time) and she said in her 20 years of practising she had never met anyone else like me who was still tense when relaxing.

I know people swear by pilates & yoga and I would really love to be able to do it but I find the breathing and the stillness very stressful.
Carabosse 16 41.3k 270 England
30 May 2009 11:23PM
Perhaps you need to investigate meditative yoga as opposed to what some call "housewives yoga". It is usually the mind that is at the root of some problems, not the body. Smile
Sus 15 3.2k 9 England
30 May 2009 11:26PM
Got on ok with yoga, did a pilates class and didn't enjoy it or get anything out of it. Then OH started going to a different pilates teacher, after a couple of terms raving about it I was tempted along... now I can safely say that if I had 5 people I could take to a desert island with me, my pilates teacher would be one of them - couldn't do without her. She's incredibly enthusiastic, keeps on top of new learning, and is very keen on body rolling. This is where you use the pressure of hard rubber balls to separate and relax the muscle connective tissue, rather than rely on stretching the muscles.

You have to hunt around for a good teacher - you also have to be suffering from a bad back or tense muscles to appreciate it!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.