Save up to 360 on selected ZEISS lenses!

Pilates

stolzy 14 3.8k 7
3 Jun 2009 10:49AM

Quote:I'm surprised that nobody appears to have pointed out the fact that many modern drugs are based upon homeopathic medicines, used for hundreds of years (sometimes longer).

Because its not true. Otherwise you would have given us examples.

Quote:that anything which has not had a clinical trial must be crackpot and should therefore be ignored, would have left us without many modern medicines, including digitalis, warfarin and paracetemol.

No, anything with claimed therapeutic benefit which has not had a clinical trial is not crackpot, just in need of a clinical trial.
What is crackpot is remedies which have had clinical trials, been found wanting, but are still promoted by the unscrupulous. This includes most complemenary/alternative medicine.

And I think you mean aspirin, not paracetamol.
And homeopathy was only invented in around 1800, but I suppose that is hundreds of years (just)

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

digicammad 16 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
3 Jun 2009 11:21AM

Quote:And homeopathy was only invented in around 1800, but I suppose that is hundreds of years (just)

Sorry, my mistake. My terminology is wrong, if that is homeopathy I'm not talking about that. Don't know what the correct term would be in that case, but I do mean natural treatments. A bit like rubbing a nettle sting with a dock leaf (has that ever been clinically trialled? Smile)

Anyway, as I said before my main point is to keep an open mind. Some of yesterday's 'crackpot' treatments are today's mainstream medicines. I wonder how long ago somebody said "I have a good idea, let's give rat poison to people at risk of strokes".

Ian

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.