Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

Places of interest in Glasgow

2 Mar 2012 2:17PM
I am driving my wife to Glasgow tomorrow where she is spending time at the GOMA. This means I have 6-7 hours spare time whlist waiting to drive her home again!! Can anyone point to places of interest where I can pass the time with the camera?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pulsar69 15 1.6k 6 United Kingdom
2 Mar 2012 2:32PM
If you like something very different then St Peters Seminary is a derelict peice of architectural genius not the easiest place to find but certainly photographically awesome ..
BubbaG2000 12 767 1
2 Mar 2012 2:45PM
Hidden Glasgow is always good for a peek. Not sure how in depth you want to go though!
If you ever get a chance then wander around the West End. Ashton Lane, Botanical Gardens etc... More "touristy" but great to snap about and friendly too.
fraser 15 631 14 Scotland
2 Mar 2012 2:48PM
Kelvingrove Park and Museum and the Riverside Museum to the west. On the other side of the city you can visit the Necropolis and Cathedral. On the south side you could visit the science centre for some other-wordly architecture. Alternatively you could go for a walk along the Clyde.
2 Mar 2012 2:54PM
Thanks for the help guys, the botanical gardens sound good.
adrian_w Plus
12 3.8k 4 England
2 Mar 2012 2:57PM
The Auctioneer, The Counting House, Lauders, Bon Accord, 3 Judges, Aragon Bar.

You drive there, she can drive back. Wink
User_Removed 9 4.6k 1 Scotland
2 Mar 2012 4:19PM
Glasgow is possibly the most photogenic city in Britain. Knocks Edinburgh and London into a cocked hat.

With the amount of time you have, explore both banks of the Clyde from below Govan to above Broomielaw. You will still have time to work your way up via Central Station to the Merchant City to George Square and, if you are into "street photography" loads of great subjects like newspaper sellers and buskers.

The other benefit of Glasgow is its friendliness and street safety. If someone tried to mug you for your camera, a dozen Weegies would set off in pursuit to get it back for you.

If we get the rain showers that are forecast, look for some great reflective surfaces in some of the lanes and side-streets.

(edit)... and,given the way things are just now with the 'Gers, there may be some good photos of wailing and gnashing of teeth round about Ibrox. Cue for question: "What has four legs and more money than Rangers? Answer: "Harry Redknapp's dog."

User_Removed 17 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
2 Mar 2012 11:18PM

Quote:Glasgow is possibly the most photogenic city in Britain. Knocks Edinburgh and London into a cocked hat.

Yeh right......lol Wink
3 Mar 2012 3:59PM

Quote:Glasgow is possibly the most photogenic city in Britain. Knocks Edinburgh and London into a cocked hat.

Yeh right......lol Wink

I said "possibly" because it might possibly be argued that Belfast equalled Glasgow. Next in line I would suggest Newcastle and then, maybe, either Chester or Bath, then Edinburgh and Dublin (if you stretch to including the Republic.

But, hey. The OP only has one day and it happens to be Glasgow he's gone to.

9 Mar 2012 7:41PM
Don't you just hate it when Forumites open threads, ask questions and then don't give any follow-up?

How did your trip to Weegieland go?

10 Mar 2012 9:20AM
I have been thinking about what to say for a week. The trip did not go as planned, and despite the good recommendations above I hardly got to see a great deal of Glasgow. Having parked in the Queen Street station initially I was stopped by the BTP and asked why I had taken photos of the concrete buttresses in the car park. Presumably they thought I was going to blow them up, as they told me they had to be on the lookout for terrorists. My explanation that I thought it could make a good abstract was treated with contempt. A good welcome to Glasgow. After that I headed off to the botanic gardens, managed to park about a mile away, got abused by a bunch of drunk (at 1200!!) youths on the walk to the gardens. All in all not an auspicious day.
discreetphoton Plus
15 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
11 Mar 2012 7:56AM
About par for the course I think Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.