Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Plane spotting?

Nike55 15 966 United Kingdom
13 Oct 2006 11:45PM
GA.....

My mind goes back to those heady days at Gatwick, where you could park your bike (Norton Dominator) outside the main terminal building car park, wander up through to the main lounge and have a totally undisturbed breakfast, while watching Airspeed Ambassador, Caravelle, Stratocruiser, CL44D-4, 707, DH Comet, DC8, Convair 660, Argosy, TU 104 all doing their thing.

Then there was the GA park itself, DH Dove, DH Heron, HS 125, HP Jetstream, Fanjet Falcon, Lear Jet, Sabreliner, Jetstar, Ercoupe, Twin Commanche...

Nasty, smelly, dangerous things....
Skodster 15 902 Ireland
14 Oct 2006 9:55AM
Nike55,

Totally awsome! Where can you buy one of those time machine thingies?

I can remember RAF St Athan in about 1976. They were storing some old WW2 German aircraft in the hangar next to the ATC gliding hangar. One Saturday morning, the hangar doors were open and they were wheeling out a Focke Wulf 190. I was amazed at the sight of this old, rare warbird out in the autumn sun. Nothing prepared me for the spectacle of them starting the engine and running it! I don't know what happened to the FW190 and I suppose it ended up at Duxford or somwhere.

I can only imagine the sound of those old four radial engined airliners of the late forties/fifties as they clawed their way into the air. Some people never understand the attraction of aeroplanes to some of us 'boys' but we never lose the bug once we have been exposed to it.

They are the most magical devices invented by man and to get to photograph them is the next best thing..........
Skodster 15 902 Ireland
14 Oct 2006 9:59AM
Comaro,

You have some great shots taken from some apparently, hazardous locations! How did you get the shot of the yellow formation team getting vertical?
Camaro 15 7 United Kingdom
15 Oct 2006 1:04AM
Skodster

I was was in the back seat another aeroplane (Vans RV-8 G-LEXX) formating on the two Extras. We were slightly off to one side following them around the loop. This was a quick practice session for a shoot later in the year when the weather improved. The main aim was get a few ideas for positioning the aircraft to allow me to get the action shots that Gary and Steve(the Extra pilots) wanted. I was also using a borrowed camera as I didn't happen to have my gear with me when we decided to go. We still haven't got around to doing the proper thing yet as we can't seem to get the aircraft, pilots, me 'n' my camera and decent weather all together at the same time!

Regards

Glynn

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.