Plastic bags!

graceland 15 2.5k 2 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2008 4:34PM
Business must be slack at Downing Street. The PM is obsessed with plastic bags!
Why don't we use paper bags? They are a vegetable product and therefore "environmentally friendly" (oh I hate that phrase!). The material can be recycled, it will rot in the ground or can be burnt safely when eventually unusable.
Keep planting and we will have paper for ever.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Windmillskies 15 183 England
3 Mar 2008 4:44PM
bandwagon - jump

Not the most urgent of things on the agenda but i guess it will make some good news for him somehow!!

Martin
Carabosse 17 41.4k 270 England
3 Mar 2008 4:45PM
Paper bags get damp and soggy and then tear! Sad
graceland 15 2.5k 2 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2008 4:47PM

Quote:Paper bags get damp and soggy and then tear! Sad

Yea but you put all the small paper bags in yer re usable material bag What a plonker !!

Joking !!!
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2008 5:04PM
Obviously the people that make bio-degradable plastic bags don't contribute enough to Gordon's "piggy bank"! Smile
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2008 5:14PM
I wonder if Gordon's advisors have read this paper

particulalrly this section
Quote:The evidence does not support conventional wisdom that paper bags are a more
environmentally sustainable alternative than plastic bags. While this is certainly
counterintuitive for many people, relevant facts include the following:

davereet 15 434 United Kingdom
3 Mar 2008 7:36PM
I don't know what all the fuss is about, if you go to France even the hyper markets don't give plastic carrier bags, you can't even buy them and no one suffers people just take there own bags with them.
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
3 Mar 2008 9:03PM
The news papers started all this fuss about plastic bags. Just look at all the sunday supplement junk they dish out, maybe they should be setting an example Smile
Boyd 16 11.2k 11 Wales
3 Mar 2008 9:09PM
Indeed. I have my newspaper delivered in a hollowed out pumpkin.

I just wish that my paper-boy drove something other than a Veyron.
Wink
Tooth 15 5.8k 227 Ireland
3 Mar 2008 9:34PM
Theey put a levy on platic bags in ireland (Rep.) a few years ago now - you either pay for only the amount you want (22c now), or you take your own in, or just put things in your arms and carry them out of the shop. You certainly don't get a moronic cashier trying to hurry you up by putting three items each in an endless succession of plastic bags (I always used to empty them out again and put them into one Smile )

Try going bagless, you'll soon get used to it....
RichardB 15 328 United Kingdom
4 Mar 2008 6:13AM
Sigh - I'm gonna have to buy bin liners if the Gov. gets its way. They must own a bin liner factory !
SuziBlue 17 16.2k 10 Scotland
4 Mar 2008 6:26AM
I don't understand why people just don't take their own. Or a cardboard box from the shop if it's too much to carry. Or reuse some of those bags under the sink from when you forgot to take one last time. Or why can't we have biodegradable bags with handles ...

Know what you mean about cashiers - I can stand there saying 'don't worry about a bag, I have one here' and still they automatically reach for a bag. And why an extra plastic bag for a bit of broccoli - no no no no no no ...

Mind you there are lots of cashiers who do think before they reach for a bag and ask if you need one, or don't offer one in the first place, which seems like a good plan to me.

AND ANOTHER thing - since I can't bear the (often pointless) packaging round stuff I take it off in the shop rather than lugging it home.
stolzy 14 3.8k 7
4 Mar 2008 7:04AM

Quote:I don't know what all the fuss is about, if you go to France even the hyper markets don't give plastic carrier bags, you can't even buy them and no one suffers people just take there own bags with them.

In most places in France the supermarkets aren't allowed to give awat plastic bags. This is apparently 'for the environment', notwithstanding the fact that almost everything you put in your reusable bag is in plastic. The plasic carrier bag is for the benefit of the customer and can therefore easily be dispensed with, the packaging of goods on the shelf is for the benefit of the retailer and therefore indispensable.
I once weight the carrier bags and the packaging of the goods, I don't remember the difference, but the weight of the carrier bags was trivial by comparison.
You can buy plastic carriers in all French supermarkets (50 cents) - they are supposedly reusable, but they don't last long. Do I hear the word 'rip-off'' marching towards this post?
Fishnet 16 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
4 Mar 2008 7:33AM
I do not see why plastic bags even exist, other than to provide shops with free advertising as you walk around town with it.

I hate carrier bags, even biodegradable ones don't degrade 100% and paper would be no better really.

Everybody should use cotton bags,Hackney council give them out for free and I have about 5 which is enough for a big shop,I also use those big blue bags from Ikea.

You can also use a shopping trolley if walk to the shops, there are some really funky ones around now.

Plastic bags didn't exist not so long ago and everyone managed, why have we become so dependant on them?

And carrier bags as bin liners is no excuse either, they don't decompose in landfill sites and often get blown out ruining the local countryside and wildlife.
Barbaraj 13 450 England
4 Mar 2008 7:42AM
I use an Enviroment agency shopping bag. It was given free to me on june 5th 2007 which was World enviroment day. It is biodegrdable , made of jute and has rope handles..I look forward to getting another this year. I also have a couple of cotton ones that I use.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.