Plastic bags!

skeletor 16 1.7k England
6 Mar 2008 12:19AM

Quote:The problem with recycling Glass is that you need to separate the colours. If you put a clear bottle, a green bottle and a brown bottle together, and they get smashed, then you can't recycle them (or you can, but you will get a nasty dark smudge coloured glass)

Quote:
I thought this too, but I was told that this is actually a load of ballcocks, and that any clour of glass mixed together can be recycled. I have no idea what the actual truth is!!

I seem to remember from my days as a glassblower (many years ago) that some coloured glass, when heated to a high enough temperature, would lose its colour on cooling. I would guess that to be the case these days for most glass used in the making of wine bottles and suchlike.

Steve

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

macroman 17 15.3k England
6 Mar 2008 1:18PM

Quote:but you will get a nasty dark smudge coloured glass)

Then surely the answer is for manufacturers and bottle users to make smoky/smudged bottles trendy or the latest 'in' fashion.

They manage, through the power of advertising, to sell us all kinds of other stuff we don't really need so it shouldn't be that difficult!
Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
6 Mar 2008 2:06PM
There are persistent rumours in my area that much of the stuff put in our recycling bins is taken to landfill sites anyway, despite the council's "green" aspirations.
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
6 Mar 2008 2:43PM
They will weigh it and record it as "Recyclables" first though CB, gotta complete the paperwork to get the bonus!
Fishnet 16 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
6 Mar 2008 3:07PM
My bags have just arrived and you should all get one, they are heavy duty unbleached cotton, a really good shopping bag size and they have 4 clear plastic windows to put photos in, so as you walk around town with your reusable shopping bag you can advertise your photography services too Wink
Photo Bags

I think they should bring back the Rag & Bone man, I remember hearing him every Sunday morning when I was a child and running to the window to watch him come down the road because he had a horse drawn cart.
SuziBlue 17 16.2k 10 Scotland
6 Mar 2008 3:28PM
so as you walk around town with your reusable shopping bag you can advertise your photography services too

Oooo!! And one of those 'trouser' notices too .. or variations of it .. tee hee!

Thanks for the link .. 8-]
mark_delta 12 1.3k
6 Mar 2008 5:04PM

Quote:There are persistent rumours in my area that much of the stuff put in our recycling bins is taken to landfill sites anyway, despite the council's "green" aspirations.

If only you knew, if only you knew !!
cameracat 16 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
7 Mar 2008 12:23AM
I was once married to a plastic bag, An all silicone & peroxide model, The fact that she was disposable had it's advantages........Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.