Get 70% Off Franzis Cutout 8 Pro Background Editor Software

Please back-up - NOW!

fatherpie 11 18 12 England
29 Sep 2009 9:26PM
Like many of us I suspect, backing up my hard drives is a chore I keep putting off...

Until yesterday when my main hard drive went into melt down and I lost all of my processed and RAW files from 2008 along with everything I took last week on holiday and most of my work from the start of 2009.

Fortunately I did not re-use the CF cards last week so I'm now running recovery software on all of them ... I have my fingers crossed and so far have retrieved a lot of the RAW files. However my processed TIFFs etc are probably gone for good.

It is a painful lesson though and one I thought I should share!!

Dave

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy Plus
16 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
29 Sep 2009 9:34PM
Sorry to hear that Dave - hope you get something back.

Quote:backing up my hard drives is a chore I keep putting off...

It really shouldn't be a chore - there are many ways to automate backing up and keep things safe automatically. Personally I try to follow the 3-2-1 rule:
Have 3 copies of your data
on 2 different types of media
of which 1 is on-line.
29 Sep 2009 9:39PM
Thanks Chris. After this weekend's experience I'm going to be a reformed character ... I hope.

Being a computer numpty (almost) I've never got the hang of automated back-ups. I would want something that saved the files as-is rather than converting them into another format as Lightroom seems to and also only backed-up new or amended files ... I'm that simple Smile

Any thoughts anyone? Is there a back-up solution for simple folk like me?

Dave
lobsterboy Plus
29 Sep 2009 9:41PM
What operating system do you have ? Is it just one PC ?
29 Sep 2009 9:45PM
One PC running Windows XP. I have two external hard drives, one has my images and the other currently has a copy of my image folders which I copied across last night.

Dave
lobsterboy Plus
29 Sep 2009 9:53PM
AllwaySync is good for making sure your main drive is always duplicated to a second drive.

I use Backblaze to copy everything to the cloud, so that if there is a fire, flod or someone breaks in and steals all the computer equipment in the house I can still recover
29 Sep 2009 10:00PM
Cheers Chris, I'll download a copy of Allway Sync and give that a go thanks.

I've just had a quick look at Backblaze and they do a 15 day trial so will give that a whirl at the weekend too.

Really appreciate you taking the trouble to help with this.

Kind Regards

Dave
lobsterboy Plus
29 Sep 2009 10:35PM
The only problem with Backblaze will be your upload speed. Mine is pretty dire but I get 1.5GB a day. It's taken since April to upload my entire archive (285mb), but after that I expect it only to take 4 or 5 days to upload a months worth of shots. In event of a total loss of all my gear I think I can live with losing the last few days shots.
Geraint 13 715 34 Wales
29 Sep 2009 10:57PM
I ran Allwaysync for the first time yesterday and started Carbonite (similar to Backblaze) a week ago. Like Lobsterboy, the upload speed is really slow (again, about 1.5gb a day). I've backed up everything that's really important to me (travel photos etc); work-related photos can be done on a day-to-day basis now. It'll take months to back up my entire archive, but at least it's peace of mind that if the house burnt down etc, my photos will be safe!
StrayCat 16 19.1k 3 Canada
29 Sep 2009 11:16PM
I use Memeo Backup, and it's screaming fast compared to yours. Consider I'm using an eleven year old PC, and I backed everything up in a day, and it works automatically, and you don't know it's there. Been using it since spring last year on a 500GB WD Mybook. I should add, it's not free; I paid about $35.00 USD.
dontforgetme 16 1.7k 7 United Kingdom
29 Sep 2009 11:21PM
Memeo backup for me too.
Its great, I have a directory on my main editing drive which memeo backup looks at, and anything I put in there automatically gets backed up to a slave drive.
lobsterboy Plus
30 Sep 2009 6:16AM

Quote:started Carbonite (similar to Backblaze) a week ago.

When I looked at Carbonite it didn't support external drives. Does it now? I found that a real limitation.
digicammad 16 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
30 Sep 2009 8:44AM
I have used Carbonite for several years. As has been said, upload speed is only as fast as your broadband connection allows, but the advantage is that it is totally automatic and non-intrusive.

I haven't tried this out yet, but I suspect you may be able to con it into supporting an external drive if you mount the drive into a folder on one of your internal drives.

What you can do though is to have a temporary folder on your internal drive, which is set to backup. Copy the files into there as well as your external drive, then delete them once they have been uploaded.

Ian
lobsterboy Plus
30 Sep 2009 8:49AM
it is a really strange limitation on Carbonite, if you run out of space and add an external drive you then can't back it up. No idea why they did that.
digicammad 16 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
30 Sep 2009 9:13AM
There is something on their website which suggests they may be about to change that.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.