Affinity Photo for fast, smooth, powerful photo editing - 50% off!

Please help - unble to get rid of pop ups

trivets12 15 1.3k
3 Jan 2015 12:19PM
This is actually the second time I've tried to post this, as the pop ups are so bad, they cancelled my previous post! Since downloading the cursed Google Chrome, I have been plagued with adware and malware and invasive websites. Despite having pop up blocker on maximum and running full scans on Norton several times, I cannot get rid of these little f.....s.
Can anyone pleeeeese help?
Trudy

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
8 9.1k 35 Norway
3 Jan 2015 12:23PM
Download and run Malwarebytes
Then ccleaner

both are free and should get rid of the pesky intruders.

When you download things like Chrome, there are always 'extras' attached if you don't look very carefully for all the small boxes you either have to tick or untick before clicking further in the download process.
rhol2 8 369 1 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2015 12:45PM
If using IE it's also worth clicking on "Tools" then "Manage add-ons" and looking for anything suspicious or unwanted which can then be disabled (.Other browsers have similar features.)
As such nasties can be legitimate choices, most anti-virus programs will not pick them up.

When downloading any program always choose a Custom install to enable you to pick and choose, as saltireblue suggests.
trivets12 15 1.3k
3 Jan 2015 12:46PM
Hi,
Thanks for that info. I'm running Malwarebyte scan now, but have to go to work soon so will let you know how it goes!
It seems to have already picked up 63 threats so hopefully it will be lots better!
Thanks again,
Trudy
Bridgelayer 11 634 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2015 1:15PM
Which Pop up stopper are you using, Trudy?
I run Panicware's and haven't had a pop-up ad for years.
It's the right price as well.
Got it from here.
I also run Spybot which sometimes picks up what MBAM might miss.
If you still get pop ups after that lot, try running them in Safe Mode.
puertouk 7 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2015 5:25PM
Be careful with CCleaner, as it can alter your registry. Try Norton Power eraser If this does not do the trick, go to > tools > manage add on's > look at the list and if you see anything that should not be there, disable it. You can also go to > start > control panel > programs > uninstall a program. Again, if you see anything that should not be there, delete it.
Hope this helps
Stephen
Jestertheclown 10 7.9k 252 England
3 Jan 2015 5:45PM
Another vote for "Malwarebytes."
Another programme worth looking at and which might do a better job, depending upon the infection, is Adwcleaner.
"CCleaner" is good at removing accumulated junk but it won't help here as it's not intended to get rid of malware/adware.
As for it's altering your registry, I think that that's something of a myth. I've been using it for years and it's never caused me a problem. In fact, I've never heard of it causing anyone a problem.
I've never heard of "Norton Power eraser," so I can't comment.
franken Plus
16 4.8k 4 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2015 10:44PM
I've used CCleaner for years and it doesn't alter your registry. It removes redundant registry files that occur from updated programs and the removal of other programs.

If in doubt, you have the option to save the deleted registry files and restore them if you require.

I've removed hundreds of registry files over the years and have never had to restore any of them.

As Jester mentions above, it's a myth.

ken
StrayCat 15 19.1k 3 Canada
3 Jan 2015 10:56PM
+1 for ccleaner, and I have lots of confidence in Adfender, free and unobtrusive. Use it to clean up cookies, history, your log and stats, easy.
3 Jan 2015 11:00PM

Quote:+1 for ccleaner,

Great for its intended purpose Denny but no use against this.
redhed17 13 858 England
3 Jan 2015 11:24PM
I've been using Firefox for over a decade, and with the Adblock Plus add on, I haven't seen any pop ups for a number of years. I think there is a version of Adblock Plus for Chrome too.

Malwarebytes is very good, but I'd also have a look at Spybot. Spybot can scan and remove malware and rootkits from your system, and protect your PC by immunizing your browser and hosts file.
3 Jan 2015 11:49PM

Quote:I've been using Firefox for over a decade, and with the Adblock Plus add on, I haven't seen any pop ups for a number of years. I think there is a version of Adblock Plus for Chrome too.

Same here, except that nowadays I favour Chrome and I haven't seen a pop up in years either.
Nor an advert, for that matter!
I think though, that there's a pop-up blocker available as an add-on for Adblock Plus.
I've never used it because I've never had to but it might be useful to some. Perhaps in this case?
avacreates 7 448 1 United Kingdom
4 Jan 2015 2:23AM
If you still have problems after running malware programs as already suggested; my suggestion would be to uninstall Google Chrome and then download it again but this time watch each message that appears and make sure to untick everything else i.e. toolbars - when downloading always keep your focus on the one thing you intended to download and untick everything else.

If you still have problems, download & use Mozzilla Firefox instead
Big Bri 17 16.5k United Kingdom
4 Jan 2015 9:30AM
There are a bunch of places offering free download of Chrome that come infested with nasty stuff. You need to download it from the official site here:

https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html

Open the Control Panel, select "Programs and Features", then click on "Installed On" on the list header to sort by install date. Uninstall Chrome, along with anything else that shows the same date.
trivets12 15 1.3k
4 Jan 2015 10:01AM
I wish I'd never set eyes on Google bloody Chrome. In fact, I'd already typed a reply to this post when Bet 365 popped up and locked me out!
I cannot even log in to my Smugmug account because stamplive.com takes over as soon as I try to do anything. I did download Google Chrome from the correct website as well, and have tried several reinstalls but nothing is working. Malwarebytes isn't making any difference at the moment.
Frustrated.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.