Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Please Help

lyne 17 15
6 Oct 2004 8:00PM
Hi this is the first time i have used the forum so i hope i am doing it right,Please can anyone help,i have photoshop 7 on my comp i have just started getting used to things in there and how they work and so on,then the other day i got a problem,when i clicked on my photoshop to open it a message came up saying,could not initialize photoshop because there is not enough memory {RAM}now i have loads or space on my memory ram as a friend has looked at it for me i have only used a little,he carnt understand it.so if anyone has ever had this prob before or can help in what it may be i would be very greatful.Thankyou lyne.
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
6 Oct 2004 8:57PM
You may be getting mixed up with RAM and ROM. The stuff you need is your memory chips RAM. This is found by looking at System properties (right Click My Computer and the bottom of the list is properties. The window that comes up will show you your computer's RAM. If you do have more than Photoshop reuqires, it could be you have several other programs running at the same time. Try closing everything else.
scandave2003 17 380 United Kingdom
6 Oct 2004 9:17PM
Lyne

Not an uncommon mistake. Many of the students at Keele Uni where I work come in with a similar problems. When questions it invariably comes out that they have plenty of space on their as they put it "C: memory". I am fairly certain that your friend was looking at you hard disk drive when they said you have plenty of space.

Pete is absolutely correct in his advice Photoshop is very memory hungry, it is after all manipulating fairly large image files. Close all other programs that you can and try again. If you are going to persevere with Photoshop I would suggest that you increase the amount of RAM or get someone who really knows what they are talking about to do it for you.

Dave Smile
sillyconguru 16 4.4k
6 Oct 2004 9:20PM
RAM is the computer's short term memory. A Hard Drive is the computer's long term storage memory.

You have, most likely, looked at the free Hard Drive space (stated as "GB", gigabytes). RAM would be stated in "MB", megabytes (unless you have a high-end PC with gigabytes of RAM, but there would be no more than 4 GB of this).

Remember:

Ram = memory
Hard Drive = storage

If you right-click on the My Computer icon and select Properties, a window will appear and it will state the amount of RAM your PC has.
lyne 17 15
6 Oct 2004 10:05PM
Thankyou all so much for your help i will get someone to look into it for me as i know nothing about comps you have been a great help,i can see i will be useing the forum more often thanks again lyne.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.