Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Please include camera details etc.

User_Removed 16 4.9k England
26 Mar 2006 10:54PM
Would love to see more details included in uploads. A minimum would be Camera & lens used. Plus a little bit of a write up on the aim/reason behind it. Even if its just family album/record of event etc.
Col
suleesia 16 176 Malaysia
26 Mar 2006 11:13PM
I always do Smile
Zone 16 9
26 Mar 2006 11:20PM
Yeah me too Smile
I like reading peoples reasons for having taken a picture, can't stand it when I see a really nice shot and there is no writeup and/or camera details.
wotashot 17 2.2k
26 Mar 2006 11:27PM
Ok, I can understand why it's good to see a bit of a description, but why exactly does one NEED to include the camera settings?

Jamie
sillyconguru 16 4.4k
26 Mar 2006 11:30PM
It would possibly give some people a better understanding of shutter-speed/aperture.
wotashot 17 2.2k
26 Mar 2006 11:31PM
But only under those exact conditions,

Jamie
Boyd 17 11.2k 11 Wales
26 Mar 2006 11:33PM
Also it'd help you give advice.
For example, there'd be no point recommending trying a different lens or trying a certain filter system if the picture was taken on a camera phone.
sillyconguru 16 4.4k
26 Mar 2006 11:34PM
That is true Jamie. The camera-to-subject distance is a factor that wouldn't normally be included, but the shutter-speed/aperture details could still help.
User_Removed 16 4.9k England
26 Mar 2006 11:36PM

Quote:Ok, I can understand why it's good to see a bit of a description, but why exactly does one NEED to include the camera settings?

Not camera settings..... just the camera model and lens. Very useful guide, in ones own photography.
wotashot 17 2.2k
26 Mar 2006 11:41PM
No point in listing the camera model and lens used - maybe the type of camera and focal length?
sillyconguru 16 4.4k
26 Mar 2006 11:43PM
No point? Why do you do it then?
keith selmes 17 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
26 Mar 2006 11:43PM
I give some information myself, and am often interested in what other people used or intended. It is also often frustrating to see something and wonder where in the world it was.

The counter argument is that we should assess an image on its merits, without prejudice of any kind, and we can ask if we want know something.
I have some sympathy with that, often I'd like to know what people make of an image themselves, without any prompting. From this aspect, camera details are irrelavent anyway.
But then, people often don't respond to comments, and perhaps the argument falls down.
In the general philosphy of this particular site, I feel we should give some details, even if they are largely ignored.
Just Jas 19 26.3k 1 England
27 Mar 2006 12:27AM
I try to give brief description, method, settings, when and where with each photograph that I upload.

I then print out the photo plus descriptive matter onto an A4 sheet of photo paper. This I then place into a pocket display book.

I now have 4 volumes of my photographs and descriptions in hard copy which give me pleasure to look at and provide a source of reference.

Apart from any value the info might have to visitors to the Reader Gallery, the above forces some discipline and order into my picture taking and storage, both pictures and data.

jas
wotashot 17 2.2k
27 Mar 2006 12:30AM
I only do it when I have the time Silly - that goe's for adding details to my uploads too Wink nudge-nudge wink-wink

Jamie
jimbo_t 17 959 England
27 Mar 2006 12:50AM
I always have an extra hard look at any photos that have been taken on the same kit that i own. I also then ask that user extra questions. Not so bothered by the Exif data but I'll always give it out if asked.
Jim

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.