Exclusive ePHOTOzine offer - 20% off Mistubishi CP-M15E Bundle!

Pocket Wizard Question

whipspeed 16 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2009 9:26PM
Ok, some possibly daft beginner idiot questions!

I have a Canon 1D MkIII and an 580EX II Flash, now today I went to Jacobs as I wanted to buy some equipment to do some multiple flash/strobist stuff.
Anyhow, came out of the shop with a Pocket Wizard TT1 Transmitter, a Flex TT5 receiver and a 430EX flash, the idea being that I could put the transmitter on the camera, mount the reciever on a tripod with my 580 set to master and the 430 on a tripod set to slave, the idea being that the transmitter would set off the 580 on the receiver and the 580 set to master would set off the 430 slave (hope this is making sense!
Now, this didn't work, the only way I could get both flashes working with the pocket wizard stuff was to mount the 580 on the camera on top of the transmitter set to slave and the 430 on the receiver set to slave. Now, what I really wanted was to have them both off camera, so to do that would I need another transmitter, or should I just have bought 2 430EX's to run as slaves from the 580 on the camera?
Hope this makes sense, I'm going to pop back tomorrow, so if the answer is yes, 2 430's would be the way to do it, I'm going to ask to take the pocket wizards back, as they did say it would work and it doesn't.
Any help would be gratefully received before I'm carted off to the home for the bewildered!

Sarah
andytvcams 17 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2009 9:40PM
I've not got a 430 just a few 580s would say you need an extra reciver.
5 Dec 2009 9:46PM
Thanks Andy, I've posted on the Flickr strobist site and they have recommended that I take back the transmitter & receivers & go for another 430 as the 580 would just trigger both as slaves without the need for the other bits.
So back to the shop tomorrow! I don't think they will have a problem refunding as they thought it would work and sold it for what I wanted and it doesn't do it Sad It will also be cheaper to get the 2 430's as well.
andytvcams 17 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2009 9:56PM
It will work out cheaper.having said that and I've never tried it but I was led to belive that the 580/430s don't communicate that well in bright light.
As I've always used pocket wizards I've never had cause to worry.
samfurlong 14 2.5k United Kingdom
5 Dec 2009 11:34PM
Just forget faffing around with the infared unless indoors or the flashes are quite close together. Get enough pocketwizard units to do the job properly.
6 Dec 2009 9:50PM
I had a word with the shop today, as he said the 580 would trigger the 430 when it was on the receiver and it obviously doesn't. He's chatting to his area manager tomorrow to get me a special deal on another receiver, as I said really, what they's sold wasn't right, so either good price or refund.
Sam, are you really my husband in disguise! He said don't faff just get it as well Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.