Pocketable m4/3?

ChrisV Plus
13 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2013 1:07PM
Panasonic GM1 - the first m4/3 camera that will actually go into your shirt/jeans pocket? I must admit this has surprised me a bit. I thought the Sony RX100s were incredible feats of engineering, but this [whilst it's a bit deeper] both trumps that and the Pentax Q Series [always a flawed concept IMO] at one fell swoop. Will be interesting to see how this works in real use and how further lens developments go.

Usual Panasonic high launch price, but perhaps not prohibitive - especially measured against the aforementioned Sonys. Is this perhaps a final death knell for 'serious' compacts?
Niknut Plus
10 2.7k 82 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2013 3:41PM
Mmmmm..??.....I think it would raise a few ladies eyebrows with one of those in my jeans pocket !!!!!!.WinkBlush
ChrisV Plus
17 Oct 2013 5:56PM
Is that a tin of biscuits in your pocket, or are you just pleased to snap me?
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
17 Oct 2013 7:20PM
Still looks a bit big for the pocket, unless they can produce some micro micro lenses Smile

There will always be a place for serious compacts, most people arn`t interested in changing lenses.
17 Oct 2013 9:51PM
I agree, Paul. Modern cameras look like over-sized mount caps on serious opticsGrin
17 Oct 2013 10:19PM
ChrisV Plus
18 Oct 2013 9:43AM
There's always the body cap lens, but then I always wonder why you'd go to the trouble of getting a decent size/quality sensor to ruin in with a poor, limited lens.

I still reckon this is just on the edge of pocketable though. I suppose none of us will know for certain until they're spotted in the wild.
duratorque 17 427 United Kingdom
18 Oct 2013 1:00PM
I am very tempted by this camera for a second/travel camera, but will wait until the price drop to sensible level. An EVF would be nice, but can't see where they would put it. This could replace my Oly EPM2. Does the internal flash act as a wireless controller? If it does, it will be great.
18 Oct 2013 2:01PM

Quote:I still reckon this is just on the edge of pocketable though. I suppose none of us will know for certain until they're spotted in the wild

Believe it or not, my GF2 fitted with the 14mm is smaller than my Fuji X10, its to big for a shirt pocket, but its small enough to bung in the wife`s handbag or a coat pocket.

If I wanted a camera that needed to be really small, I`d probably just get myself a mobile phone.

Panasonic already make a very nice little compact with an EVF.

http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/cameras-camcorders/lumix-digital-cameras---point-and-shoot/compact-cameras/dmc-lf1eb.html
18 Oct 2013 2:12PM
In appearance this camera reminds Fujifilm's smallest XF1 which failed to be very popular. Camera minimisation trend is not new in general and never did last for too long. All Canon, Olympus ,etc. , and multiple smaller companies of bygone film era were trying it, but somehow the trend failed to sustain. Probably Panasonic could get me interested if they made a truly compact variant of this camera with 5X fixed zoom lens. But maybe this time it will be lucky - who knows. After all, human hands seem to become smaller in computer age...Grin
18 Oct 2013 8:44PM
From what I have seen the XF1 was pretty popular.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.