Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

Polarised filter needed for photographing cars?

Recently been hired by the manheim company to photograph some cars in a dealership in my area, however one requirement was to have polarised filter, however i didn't use one in my interview photographs and still go the job? Just wondered if its definitely worth getting one or not?

Many Thanks

Alice
thewilliam 12 6.1k
6 Jun 2014 8:35PM
A polarizer is very useful for removing troublesome reflections and should be in every commercial photographer's camera bag.
Just out of curiosity whats the different between a linear polarising filter and a normal one?
Belleyeteres 10 264 United Kingdom
6 Jun 2014 9:22PM
Linear one was for 35mm film and the circular one is for digital.
6 Jun 2014 9:36PM
Think "circular" was designed for digital cameras because "linear" allegedly upset the auto-focussing...?

Could be wrong...Smile
6 Jun 2014 10:40PM
Everyone should have a Circular Polarising Filter in their bag, it's the one filter to have. Smile
Thanks guys
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
7 Jun 2014 1:46AM

Quote:Think "circular" was designed for digital cameras because "linear" allegedly upset the auto-focussing

Kind of right...it also upset metering on older manual focus film cameras such as the Olympus OM-4 and Canon T90.
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
7 Jun 2014 2:06AM

Quote:Think "circular" was designed for digital cameras because "linear" allegedly upset the auto-focussing
Kind of right...it also upset metering on older manual focus film cameras such as the Olympus OM-4 and Canon T90.

Yes I believe my OM2SP was also effected as well as the OM4 but a lot of my newer digital cameras seem unaffected if I mount one of my very old PL filters, I`m not even sure if there still being made.
7 Jun 2014 2:09AM

Quote:Think "circular" was designed for digital cameras because "linear" allegedly upset the auto-focussing...?

Could be wrong...Smile

Circular was available long before digital, I believe I picked up my first filter sometime around 1984/5
Evertonian 8 729 England
7 Jun 2014 9:49AM
I used a circular polariser over 30 years ago. There were cameras well before digitals and telephone cameras you know!

We also had auto-focussing many years ago too. I still have a Nikon up in the loft with 2 auto-focus zoom lenses. Something like 28-55mm and 55 - 200mm and those focal lengths were in old money' before we ever heard of crop sensors.

If anybody is interested in buying them, they will fit the new full size sensor cameras but i don't know what auto features will work because I don't have full size sensors on my DSLRs let me know.
7 Jun 2014 6:43PM
Spot metering has been around a lot longer than most people will remember as well Smile
alansnap 17 577 26 United Kingdom
7 Jun 2014 7:12PM
I have used a circular polariser for as long as I've had an autofocus camera, that is, well before digital. It's the autofocus that can't cope in some situations.
Alan
7 Jun 2014 9:00PM
I thought polarisers didn't remove reflections from metal?
chris.maddock 19 3.7k United Kingdom
7 Jun 2014 9:14PM

Quote:I thought polarisers didn't remove reflections from metal?

Usually - it's because reflections off metal are generally not polarised so the filter can't remove them very well, if at all.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.