Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Pole Cat behind my wardrobe - help!!

23 Jul 2007 11:06PM
The cat chased it into my den. I managed to isolate the cat in the kitchen. The pole cat hid behind the tv for a while, made a run for the next room and instead of heading for 'outside' is now in my bedroom behind the wardrobe.
Any suggestions.
p.s. they are not cute in reality, only in 'zoos'. I've seen one kill a small cat and it could give me a nasty injury if I approach it.
I'm just going to sit here a while and hope by the time I next venture into the bedroom it will have gone!!!!
Oh! I hope it's not rabid, eek!
23 Jul 2007 11:07PM
Oh, ha ha, a red alert came up suggesting a previous forum topic on pole dancing LOL.
pennyspike 18 2.1k 29 United Kingdom
23 Jul 2007 11:11PM
I've seen some threads during my time on EPZ but this must be one of the least expected.
I've no idea what to do except try to entice it outside with a tasty morsel. Would it eat the catfood if you put a bowl outside the door?
Hope you get it sorted, I wouldn't want one in my den.
Perhaps you should give it a pole to dance roundSmile
23 Jul 2007 11:15PM
The tasty morsel is probably my cat! I think now it's just scared to find itself inside a house and is hiding in a corner. I am not going too near it, it may attack me. but I'm two hours ahead of you, its my bedtime, and am certainly not sharing a room with a wild animal!!!

Off to peer round the corner, perhaps its gone.....
Kris_Dutson 18 8.2k 1 England
23 Jul 2007 11:16PM
I'd have a word with immigration if I were you; they're getting in everywhere these days and now they're bringing their damn cats with them too.Wink
23 Jul 2007 11:32PM
Well it's behind the chest of drawers now and being poked with a broomstick is not encouraging it to go away either.

I hate the things, some of the big ones are powerful enough to kill a full grown cat, and they do, and I've had two of my own kittens taken by them as well. Doesn't solve my current problem, I think I may have to sleep in the kitchen and hope the problem has sorted itself tomorrow :-(
Squirrel 14 471 7 England
23 Jul 2007 11:47PM
I'm not sure if this will help. See if you can get a humane trap from your local vet or animal rescue place. Cover the trap with a heavy cloth leaving the entrance uncovered and bait it with raw meat. Once the animal is inside and the trap sprung cover the trap completely with the cloth and the dark should keep the pole cat quiet, then just take him and release him where ever. Remember though it might be a female and therefore may have a litter nearby.
Good luck. regards Squirrel
jcuknz 14 79
23 Jul 2007 11:53PM
You could sleep on the couch, leaving the bedroom window open and the door closed?
24 Jul 2007 12:05AM
Thanks Squirrel, something to think about tomorrow (not a lot I can do to get traps and raw meat at two a.m.!) I am opening all the doors to all the rooms (except the kitchen to keep the cat in as I'm not sure which would win if there was a major fight). Windows can't be opened - it's summer in Crete, my glass is replaced with wire mesh to let air in but not mozzies.

I sincerely hope there isn't a litter nearby, I don't want any more of the things in. I may have to have a word with my farmer next door. I live in a traditional village with traditional country ways, he will deal with them, hopefully when I'm not around though as its probably not very pleasant :-(
podgod 17 514 3 United Kingdom
24 Jul 2007 1:41AM
1/125th @ f/11 with a blink of flash, it works for all situations.
Tutterzzz 14 160 United Kingdom
24 Jul 2007 3:40AM
Or alternatively buy some flash bangs off of www.ironfeet.co.uk and a few smokes while your at it just to add to the atmosphere Wink

i think the best thing to do would be temp it out with some food then give it a swift and firm clobber over the head with a blunt instrument not too hard though, just enough not knock it out then chuck it over next doors fence
pennyspike 18 2.1k 29 United Kingdom
24 Jul 2007 8:56AM
Have you evicted it yet?
joolsb 16 27.1k 38 Switzerland
24 Jul 2007 9:03AM
I had a mouse behind the wardrobe some years ago (not in the biblical sense, I hasten to add!) It disdainfully ignored my humane traps and other attempts to corner it. Eventually, I had to lure it into a cardboard box with some food and then run outside befoer it had gnawed its way to freedom. Being a kind chap, I let it go on some nearby waste ground. It was a cute little thing, though. Unlike polecats...
ZenTog 19 7.9k 1 England
24 Jul 2007 9:35AM
its probally a polecat ferret , rather than the real wild pole cat, get a strong pair of gloves and catch it, then take it to the local RSPCA , or if you dont feel safe call the local RSPCA
ZenTog 19 7.9k 1 England
24 Jul 2007 9:36AM
forgot you live in crete so it could be a polecat and you havnt got a RSPCA officer ,doh
leave doors open it will probally go away on its own accord

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.